In 20-30 years, what will be America's official language? Will it still be English? Or will English become a second language for prople?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My great grandparents came from 'the old country' (Germany, Poland) in early 1900's- none of them knew English. To live here they had to adapt and learn the language. They raised their children to read and speak English. I am fluent in German and proud to be German-Polish-American. I do not think it is fair that everything is catering to Spanish speaking people-- school forms with English on the front spanish on the back. Call any company and you have to press 2 for english or you get spanish. Hmmm where is my GERMAN option? Where is my school form in GERMAN? Why are the other languages not given fair treatment too-- why is it only Spanish?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• That is a good question. I see so many places where spanish is becoming more the first language. I think it is sad. I always believed that English was our first language and that people who come here should learn it. Just as if I were to go to Mexico I should learn Spanish, or where ever I go I should learn the language there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• That is a good question. I see so many places where spanish is becoming more the first language. I think it is sad. I always believed that English was our first language and that people who come here should learn it. Just as if I were to go to Mexico I should learn Spanish, or where ever I go I should learn the language there

I agree!

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The United States doesn't have an official language. It never has.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• For prople? Looks like you have already moved away from English being your primary language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Please please please, not saying stop speaking your own language but please learn english. Please.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• English will likely become a second language. It has been the official language here for over 200 years. Where we live, one would be hard pressed to find a product label, sign or business logo that doesn't have Spanish with the English words. I expected it more where we're from than where we are now.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree with anon :11
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

Ditto

Look it up no official language

In most countries with an official languages they teach their children 2-3 different languages where we feel it isn't necessary everyone should just learn English
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We are supposed to be the great melting pot, so we will always hear different languages here. I do think however that English will remain what is taught in school as a first language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009