Breastfeeding question!!! {{galactagogues}}

I'm a SAHM and I'm nursing my eight month old little girl exclusively. I have no problems with my milk supply for her. BUT, me and a group of other women pump a few times a day for a newborn in our community that lost his mommy at birth. Now, the only way I'm able to produce EXTRA milk is if I'm using galactagogues. I drink 4 bags of Mother's Milk tea and 3 capsules of Fenugreek/day. As soon as I stop, my milk production dwindles. Is this normal?? Shouldn't I be able to maintain this supply with pumping, even IF I stop the herbs??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may just not respond well to a pump. It's common. I think what you are doing is a wonderful thing!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would think so. You already have a well established supply. You probably just don't respond well to pumping. Most of us are like that. The only way I can get anything out with a pump is if I pump 1 side while nursing on the other. I hope you figure it out. What you're doing is very admirable & wonderful. I hope that if something ever happend to me that women from my community would step forward & do that for my baby.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Some people don't respond to the pump so it is very possible that your supply would drop immediately. I would so do that in a heartbeat for another family if needed!! KUDOS to you and the other ladies. I actually gave another mom pumped milk to use in a supplemental nursing system as she tried to get her supply up and after 3 months she didn't need it anymore. I had oversupply issues though and had lots of milk frozen to spare.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009