Breastfeeding question!!! {{galactagogues}}

I'm a SAHM and I'm nursing my eight month old little girl exclusively. I have no problems with my milk supply for her. BUT, me and a group of other women pump a few times a day for a newborn in our community that lost his mommy at birth. Now, the only way I'm able to produce EXTRA milk is if I'm using galactagogues. I drink 4 bags of Mother's Milk tea and 3 capsules of Fenugreek/day. As soon as I stop, my milk production dwindles. Is this normal?? Shouldn't I be able to maintain this supply with pumping, even IF I stop the herbs??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wasn't able to keep my supply up w/o them either. I was taking 12 fenugreek a day and drinking mother's milk tea 2 times a day. I would just keep doing what you are doing in order to help this baby. I know that taking this stuff isn't fun but you are doing a great thing.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• what a great word. now this BFing sci-fi geek wants a bumpersticker (you'd never fit enough letters on a license plate) that says "Battlestar Galactogogue" for my car : )
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• {{OP}}

LOL autodidact :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• What a wonderful thing you are doing! Your post made me a bit weepy.

Take brewers yeast tabs; drink lots of water; look at pictures of your baby while you pump. Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Carrot oil is great (NOT carrot SEED oil), oats are supposed to be good, and above all drink LOTS of water- you need water to make milk!
    Good luck, and on behalf of that baby thank you for doing such a wonderful thing.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 12:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2009