What is the easiest way to let my 4 yr old know that we have to move to Ft Bliss per my husbands orders?

Every other duty station was before her or before her realizing she was leaving. Too young. My husband has been on recruiting duty in our home of record for the last 3 yrs where we were surrounded by family. Now we are moving 1500 miles away to a place where we know no one. Any help in the matter or ideas are greatly appreciated...

RyleighsMoM3505

Asked by RyleighsMoM3505 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's still young enough to not understand. I moved 32 times in 15 yr and I'm not military! I told my kids that life is sending us on another adventure. They loved it. They thought that was a game and so cool. That worked for me.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:30 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You make it exciting for her. We're Navy (lol, and my much younger brother is Army and at Ft Bliss, btw), and we've moved with our kids tons of times.

You tell her that Daddy has a new job with the Army, and the really cool thing about it is now you get to move to Ft. Bliss. Then you tell her about some of the really neat things to do there that she'll like. You can go to Military One Source and look up stuff about the area, things to do, etc, to find out ideas on things to do that she will like. Talk about things like how she'll get to go to kindergarten there (depending on when you're moving - and yes, she could where you are now, but don't go into that...)

You can show her on the map where it is, and make it a game - what does she want to take in the car with her when you go? What sort of snacks does she want to take? Show her pictures of the area (pull them from online).

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My cousins live in El Paso and there r many things to do w/ ur preschooler. Tell her about these places as if it were an adventure (as admckenzie wrote). There's a restaurant there, cattlemans, where they have farm animals before u go eat. (I know, very anti-vegetarian, but its Texas LOL) then there's White Sands. Its an hr away but u'd think ur in some remote place. Very cool. There there's the transmountains. Not green but my cousins like to take there kids on the trails there. I'll c if I can get more ideas from them.

Oh! B4 I forget, I think they said there's an indoor playground, but if I were living there I would start a business there. It can get really cold to go outside in the winter and really hot in the summer. I heard the military uses ft bliss 2 train them to go to the middle east cuz of da extreme weather.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• cont

If your movers will go along with it - some packers will, some won't - let her "help pack" by putting her stuffed animals in the box, or something like that. lol - once we had movers that gave my kids a box and "let them help pack" the bottom shelf of their bookshelf. It saved them from having to do it, and the kids had a blast, and it wasn't something that had to be wrapped.

Make it sound so cool and fun and that YOU are so excited and looking forward to it, and she will be more excited about it. If she gets worried or anxious, ask her what worries her about it (don't assume what's wrong and maybe put more worries in her head). Re-assure her that she'll make new friends, and that she can still be friends with her old ones. Re-assure her that family can come visit - and what an adventure THAT will be, too! Re-assure her that Mommy and Daddy will both be going, too, and all her stuff.

She'll be ok :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Thanks guys. Lots of great ideas. We just got orders yesterday so I am not only stressing about that but that December 10th isn't very far away. At least I don't have to stress about telling her now. Thanks again !!:)
    RyleighsMoM3505

Answer by RyleighsMoM3505 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh, depending on when you're pcs'ing, I would consider waiting to tell her, too. Like, if you aren't moving for another 6 months, then I would hold off on telling her for a couple more months. If you're moving soon, then start talking about it to her.

Something else you could do - when the move gets closer, you can get her some new special fun things to take on the trip - you can even wrap them up like presents for her, and maybe even treat them like Christmas presents or birthday presents where she knows she's getting something, but she has to "wait for the big days" to get them - like, something for after the movers leave with all the stuff, something for the first day in the car (or, at 4, something for every day you're going to be in the car...) etc.

It doesn't have to be big things - stuff like a new coloring book or doll, a cd or movie for the trip, etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 30, 2009