Should I get a booster seat?

My daughter just turned 3 in August. She is 30 lbs. That is the starting weight of most of the booster seats. I like the ones with the backs. They seem like they are more safe than the ones without backs. Her carseat that she is in now is up to 40 lbs. She is my only child so I'm not to sure when I should switch her. I need all of the feedback I can get. Thanks!!!

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would stick with a 5 point harness carseat if it were me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My opinion is to switch as late as possible. Shortly after DD turned 3, we bought a 5-point harness carseat that goes up to 65 pounds and I plan to keep her in that until she's 65 pounds.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes thanks!!! I don't know why I didn't think about it earlier. But, I called my daughters pediatrician. We will definately stick to 5 point harness for a while. I just wasn't sure about it. With the holidays coming and people asking what my DD needs I thought that would be something. But I'm thinking we may be able to wait one more year. YEAH!!!
    DAH02

Answer by DAH02 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• She still has 10lbs to go before she has to move out of her current one. You have plenty of time before needing to worry about it. My almost 4 year old doesn't even come close to weighing 40lbs and he's above the 80th percentile for his age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The safest is the 5 point harness as long as possible. Weight isn't the only restriction though. Check out the manual for the height restriction on your current seat. My 4 year old JUST got out of his 5 point harness and only because of the height and we moved to a high back booster. You can still pick out the new seat and ask for it for the holidays and just not use it until she out grows the 5 point harness.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We switched my daughter to a booster seat with it's own 5 pt harness shortly after her 3rd birthday. She's a skinny but very tall girl. She was already to tall for the regular convertible carseat so we really had no other choice. However, 5 pt harness is considered the safest. :)
    maliya0608

Answer by maliya0608 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I wouldnt my dd erf her seat goes up to 35 lbs and ff up to 40 lbs, i wnat to keep her in 5 point harness as long as possible!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009