Is this a risk 4 sids? NO BASHING

I ALWAYS lay her on her back to sleep when I put her to bed, but sometimes late at night I burp her and let her sleep on my chest (on her tummy). I'm always holding her to me and I keep things on either side of me to prevent her from rolling (she is only 3 and a half weeks old) off and onto the floor or something. I always keep the fan on low to keep the air circulating, I don't have bumpers, all of that stuff, but, I'm worried that letting her sleep like that is a risk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keeping things beside you may cause more of a problem then help.

For more info go to google and type in safe co-sleeping
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes. It's not only a risk that she can suffocate in your chest, but a risk you could roll over or turn slightly and be in a deep enough sleep to where you don't know it. The risk may not be great, but it would be enough for me not to do it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

I agree !!
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My little one slept on her tummy from day 1...I don't let her sleep on my chest since It's pretty big, and putting things on each side can be a problem...it's best to lay her back down with nothing on either side...but the fan is a good idea.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is not a risk what you are doing I laid my DD on her back or side in her crib and I would have her on her belly when she laid on me the fan is good and they are also saying that using a bunky is a good way to reduce SIDS also. By 78% according to APS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree with previous answers, having things beside you is the risk. A baby is actually designed to sleep with its mother, even though you will hear otherwise. Studies have been done that prove an infant can better regulate body temp & heart rate when on its mothers chest or stomach. Anyone who wants information on those studies can pm me & I'll dig them up, btw. Although I do not sleep with the baby on my stomach it is only because I am a side sleeper. I curl up & tuck them into the hidey-hole. My mother always sleeps with the babies on her chest, all 3 of us & all of her grandkids. It is my belief that sleeping alone is in itself putting a baby at risk for SIDS.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As long as your not overtired I wouldn't worry about it. You may not get the best sleep however and if you don't want to co sleep in future this may be leading you astray (so to speak). I did this with both my newborns at some point, but tried to stick to putting them in the crib as much as possible so they would get used to it.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I do this, too. However I sleep on a big oversized chair with an ottoman when I have her sleep on my chest so there's really no risk of me rolling over on her. During the night she sleeps in her crib in our bedroom and I sleep in my bed. Then when she gets up for the 6-8 AM feeding, I will then go out in the living room and sleep on the chair with her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Here are some things to avoid:

* Do not sleep with your baby if:

1. You are under the influence of any drug (such as alcohol or tranquilizing medications) that diminishes your sensitivity to your baby's presence. If you are drunk or drugged, these chemicals lessen your arousability from sleep.

2. You are extremely obese. Obesity itself may cause sleep apnea in the mother, in addition to the smothering danger of pendulous breasts and large fat rolls.

3. You are exhausted from sleep deprivation. This lessens your awareness of your baby and your arousability from sleep.

4. You are breastfeeding a baby on a cushiony surface, such as a waterbed or couch. An exhausted mother could fall asleep breastfeeding and roll over on the baby.

5. You are the child's baby-sitter. A baby-sitter's awareness and arousability is unlikely to be as acute as a mother's.

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 1:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• * Don't allow older siblings to sleep with a baby under nine months. Sleeping children do not have the same awareness of tiny babies as do parents, and too small or too crowded a bed space is an unsafe sleeping arrangement for a tiny baby.

* Don't fall asleep with baby on a couch. Baby may get wedged between the back of the couch and the larger person's body, or baby's head may become buried in cushion crevices or soft cushions.

* Do not sleep with baby on a free-floating, wavy waterbed or similar "sinky" surface in which baby could suffocate.

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 1:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009