What would you do/say if you had a friend in a coma that you weren't sure was saved?

My friend is in a coma after attempting suicide. He was slipping in out and out conciousness yesterday but they had to put him under because he kept trying to remove the IV's, etc. I am not sure he is saved or what his beliefs are. I know that at one point yesterday he could hear me when I was talking with him. I am planning to go see him again. Can I say the sinner's prayer on his behalf and trust that some part of him will either accept or decline whether he is conscious or not?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 11:53 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Excellent question. I don't have the answer but will stand in agreement with you for you to intercede for him. That gives God the opportunity to speak to his spirit while in the coma. "All things work together for the glory of the Lord"

Answer by admckenzie at 12:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No you cannot pray for him. He has to make the choice. Since he can hear you, you can tell him but right now might not be the best time. Right now he just needs to know that you are there and you are praying for him. He needs to know that you love him.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When you say I cannot pray for him, what do you mean? If I tell him I am going to say a prayer for him to be saved and he can either agree with me or not, do you think there is any harm in that? He cannot speak, and potentially lying on his deathbed, it just seems to make sense to me as a Christian to help him with this. He can still choose or not, it's not as if what I say will make a bit of a difference if he is either incapable, or chooses not to believe......do you think there is really any harm? I think being concerned about his salvation shows my love for him.....am I wrong?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i let the lord decide his fate on here or in the after life. i would certainly pray for god's will to be done. i don't think us humans should decide what anothers standing with the lord is. just our own.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i can't answer your question for you ...but i wanted to say I hope that this experience is something that if he makes it through will lead your friend to guidance. I hope that you are able to deal with the hurt of this. I've experience suicides and attempts and boy.. they are pretty hurtful. hugs
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I do pray for God's will to be done and I don't think praying for him, whether he accepts it or not, is trying to decide his standing with the Lord. It is more or less letting him know that I am there and that I am praying for him and if he hasn't accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour and IF HE WANTS TO I am there to support him in his prayers and be a voice for him when he cannot speak, does that make sense?

If it were me in the bed for any reason I would welcome all prayers, even those from people that didn't share my beliefs, because any prayer whatsoever would show their love for me. JMO.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I tend to agree w/ teamquinn on this one.

If you want to pray for him - that's your business... but now is not the time to start "preaching" to him. I understand that you don't see it as "preaching", but if he doesn't believe as you do, he will probably take it that way. I'm a life-loving person, but every time someone tells me they're praying that I "get saved", it's like nails down a chalkboard! It might just push him over the edge if he can't get away & you start praying over his bed or something.

If you want to pray for him, by all means - do. It's okay to even say (on your way out) that you'll be praying for him... but don't pray over him & don't tell him you're praying that he "get saved".
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i have a question.... if he accepts jesus as his savior.. while dying in his bed from an attempted suicide.. and he dies after wards does that according to Christianity get forgiven? given the fact that i suicide is supposed to be one of those unforgivable things? (is that true)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Windy in all honesty, I think you should be praying that God remove the demon spirit that lead him to suicide. I'm not a devil made me do it kind of moma, except in the case of suicide. In that case I don't think a human being can attempt suicide without the influence of the Devil. And he must be removed so your friend stops trying to take out his IV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• first off, are you sure your friend even believes in the Christian faith?
    If not, I think it is not very respectful for you to attempt to do so.

Secondly, do you know WHY he tried to commit suicide?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009