Cat not using litter! Need advice!!

We have a fixed male that refuses to use a litter box. We have had him for years. It's not an uti, he will give a look and run upstairs right by the litter box to go to the bathroom. Now he is peeing in 3 different spots in a mainroom. I have heard of lock him in a create with food,water, and litter, but for how long?? Does this really work? He is on the last leg of living with us if I can not change his litter habit.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 11:54 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pets

• How do you know he does not have a uti? have you taken him to the vet recently for this? If not then you can't know that for sure. If you have has anything changed in your house at all ? New baby, new pet? How many littler boxes do you have? If you only have 1 you might try adding a second one. There is a kitty litter called cat attract that is very helpfull in encouraging cats to use the box. You might also try getting one of those Comfort zones with Feliway plug ins. If this is Behavioral these things may help. ANother option is medication. Last year my 15 year old cat stopped using the box completely and medically she was fine according to blood work and urinalysis. I did all of the behavioral modifications and it was not working so we put her on tuna flavored liquid prozac. It takes about a month for it to kick in and be effective but what a differance. it made.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Health wise he is fine, no problems found. He is 12 years old, we have a 2nd cat but also have had her for 3 years, as far as litter boxes we have 3 of them in different parts of the house. The vet is the one who said to put him in a caged or blocked off part of the house. I wondered if this sounded normal to retrain him to use the litter box.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 1:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have actually used the crate for one of my cats when he stopped using the box and it did work on top of doing the other behavior modifications i mentioned although i did not have to put him on meds i did use the Kitty litter with him and it worked well. But i will tell you that your cat will HATE it. I would let Dusty out for short periods so he would not go stir crazy and we did this for 2-3 weeks before i let him out for good again. Every cat is differant though some may take longer some less
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• KyliesMom5 is right. We did the same thing with our cat. It was the vet who told us to do it. It took a couple of weeks but iit did work.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 2:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Ok ladies, I am gonna give it a shot. He started using the litter box, but he is in a play yard type of cage (he is a large cat so I could not put him in a dog crate, I can't be that mean). I let him out since he is using the box, but 3 days definately was not long enough he went on the bathroom floor the first chance he had, I am pretty sure this is an anger issue with him. Please tell me there is hope of correcting this I hate to rehome him. I can not rip out any more carpet, besides it doesn't help he will just pick out another room.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Yup, I have trained many kitties in my life time... Lock your kitty up in the cage when you cannot supervise the cat, but let him out when the family are together or a few hours a day. But at night definitely lock the kitty up in cage or bathroom. Clean the box DAILY... if he starts using it. Once he does start using it do not just let him roam, work baby steps letting him out few hours a day, if he has accident in house then immediately put him in the cage, he will start to understand the behavior and consequences behind it.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 12:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2009