Why did you breastfeed?

What is an advantage other than attachment formation or bonding?

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 11:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• makes the baby healthy. helps you lose baby weight, convient. CHEAP!! lol i guess i'm lazy and cheap
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It def didnt help me lose the weight.. Im still bitter about that haha! But its healthier... everyone knows that its the most nutritious and I didnt have any reason not to so why not?
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I feel it is the best choice for the baby nutritionally, and that there are health benefits for the mom. For me personally, it helped with hormone balance, better mood, etc. It helps to shrink your uterus back to size. Strengthens your heart. It's convenient for me and makes the whole family happy! ; ) Not only is the nutrition a factor for the baby, but it is very soothing and comforting for the baby.
    pianonightstars

Answer by pianonightstars at 12:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh, yeah, kind of forgot about the weight loss. Yeah, that was an added perk for me too! ; )
    pianonightstars

Answer by pianonightstars at 12:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's natural - this is how a mom is supposed to feed her baby, that's why our bodies make milk. (and I am not saying that to bash formula feeders). Plus it's cheaper, easier and the bonding part is so special.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My daughter wouldn't take formula, it made her break out. I have been breastfeeding her a year now. Its easier not to have to prepare a bottle when your baby is screaming and hungry. plus its free. didn't help me with any weight loss though. and my daughter is very attached to me.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Because I had no clue on how to prepare a bottle of formula and never had or will have the inclination to learn how or read a canister to find out. It just seemed like a waste of my time since I already knew/know how to breastfeed.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As a control freak, it is the only way to 100% guarantee that my baby will be fed. This point was affirmed to me in 2004, when the hurricanes came through SW FL. The 1st, Hurricane Charlie, kicked our butts. We were without power for over a week. The stores were closed & when they did reopen they were quickly mobbed & ran out of everything. I was BFing my DD at the time, but my SIL had a DD the same age & they quickly ran out of what they thought was a good supply of formula. There was really no substitute either since all the milk had already gone bad & it took a while to restock the stores. Other people they knew were driving them crazy to share formula. I practice the concept of being self sufficient as much as possible from my condo in the burbs. Even if we faced an Armageddon type crisis, as long as I'm alive, my baby will eat. Also health benefits, its cheap, bonding, blah, blah, blah.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Because it's better for the baby's immune system, digestive system, growth, and emotional health.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Lots of reasons - healthier as far as immunity and the baby can digest it easier; I don't have to worry about baby food recalls; it's what nature intended my baby to eat; it's free; as carlye828 says - I don't have to worry if there's some sort of natural disaster, my baby will still get fed; I was breastfed and formula feeding never crossed my mind when thinking of having a baby even long before I was ready to be a mom.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009