Do you think chefs/cooks and assistants in restaurants, no matter type or name, should wear

facial covers to prevent sneezes and coughs from food? Some doctors, dentists wear facial covers that are plastic and open at the forehead but closed at the chin, to prevent them from getting patients germs and to prevent patients from docs sneezes and germs. Is that a good idea for restauarant kitchen personnel? Maybe mandatory nose/mouth masks?

Does the swine flu worry you and how fast and hard it's supposed to hit our country this fall, winter?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 11:58 AM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Health

• They don't work that well and only work for about 15 minutes. It wouldn't be practical.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I work in the food business and I think that you should just lock yourself in your house if your that worried about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No... I don't think they should. My dh is a chef and it gets really hot in a kitchen. Any good chef, cook, restaurant worker would never cough or sneeze in your food.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• wow what is it with anons today? 1106anon where on earth did you read that I myself am worried about someone else's germs? Learn to comprehend or don't answer.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh my goodness. most people have been trained to sneeze the other way, into their arm or towards their shoulder anyway when cooking like that. Chances are they aren't causing you any damage. And the flu is just the flu. I'm not concerned and definately not going to change my life becuase of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• hey abellvalerie, you're right, masks of any kind in a hot kitchen would make it even more difficult for a chef. I agree in the better restaurants like your husband's, that doesn't happen. But there are restaurants around that now and then have health dept. concerns, to the surprise of the public and sometimes not a surprise.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009