Why did you formula feed?

Other than breastfeeding is gross or "I couldn't breastfeed"

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 12:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried breastfeeding. But it was not a good experience for me or my daughter. After trying to get her to latch for an hour or more, I ended up in tears and her screaming. She was losing weight as well and I was supplementing so much formula that I just made the switch to formula. She's happy, I'm happy, and shes a beautiful, happy, healthy baby.....and thats what matters to me. But, I'm going to try again when I have another child.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• my son wasn't tolerating my milk no matter what I was eating or how bland i ate- he unlatched up to 50 times each feeding which caused horrible gas for him - i tried for 2 months and finally my mom told me'honey, that is NOT ok - you did your best, you need to stop trying now" turns out he didn't tolerate forumla either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There was a really good question about this not too long ago. You can probably search for it and find a bunch of really good, heartfelt answers. I responed then, but will just say I formula fed so I could bond with my child and not be afraid to hold her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Idk if this really counts but with my oldest 2 I breastfed but supplemented with formula while I was at work. At the time many work environments weren't as helpful regarding pumping at work and I really had a hard time pumping enough at home to last the 6 or 7 hours I worked. So I kinda wussed out and had my dh use formula if there wasn't enough breast milk to last the day. I'll admit too that with my oldest I almost gave up. If my dh had not worked with a woman who just finished breastfeeding her child, I may have given up. For me it was painful and not pleasant at first. But his co-worker told him to keep encouraging me and helping me so he did. A lot of women don't have that support from their SO and give up. My SIL gave up because her dh told her to.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Because it is so much easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Why do you care?
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I chose to formula feed because I am a very private person and could not see myself BFing in public( I know you can pump etc.) Also I had quite a hard time after giving birth(200+ stitches) and my SO would help me by getting up in the middle of the night with him for the first few weeks. I think it was really good though for us. It let father and son have a lot of bonding time they would not have had if I has breastfed. Now he is 6 months old and very healthy. I am still happy with my decision and if I have more children in the future they will also be formula fed.

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• K lets see. when i found out i was preggo with my first i knew i was going to bf, i bought book, took classes.bought nuring bra well and the stuff necesarry for succesful bf. the day cmae to have my dd i was in labor for 16 hrs. they broke my water and notieced it had meconium,. when my dd was bron she had the chrod wrap around her neck they took her to suction her amd make sure the meconium wasnt in her lungs, i didnt hold her for 2 hrs after she was born. when i finally got to hold her i was k lets feed her. i did what the lady who taught the breastfeeding class told me to do. she latch on ok and nurse for about 10 mts and she was done. i offer her the other side and she nurse for maybe 5 mts. later taht day the nurse came in and told me feed her again my dd was asleep and i felt bad but i ddi what i was told. they told me to undress her. my dd wasnt latching on so the nurse squissed my breast and literaly froce my nipple
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• cont --- into her mouth( i had bruises in my boob the next day) i wa so feed up with them screaming at me and telling me that the baby has to eat. dammit she was tired!! she wnated to sleep. so i asked for a pump. i was able to pump 1 oz of colustrum and i gave her that. then when they took her for her hearing test an freaking nurse gave her formula!! i was pissed dh wasnt supportive so he asked the nurse for more formula. once we got home all hell broke loose i would try and try to latch her on and she wouldt i was mad! at her at me. i felt like a failure. when my milk cma ein dh bought me a pump and i pump on and off for 3 mts and the when compleletely t formula. with my first trying to bf was such a horrible experienced that everytime it was time to try and nurse her i wnated to chunk her out the window!!! i ff caused of my snaity, no support and the fact that the hospital i had her in(military) ahve no clue about bf

piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i tried but i had to have surgery and was in the hospital for a month and she was a preemiie so wasnt latching well to begin with and wanted nothing to do with it when i got back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009