Breast-feeding question for moms that work outside the home

When I get back from maternity leave in December I will be working 9 hours a day 5 days a week (I know BLAH-but it's only for 2 months then I go to 3 days a week). When I was breastfeeding my son I worked at the daycare he went to so I hardly ever had to pump.
The question is how often did you PUMP while you were on maternity leave? Did you have a lot of breastmilk stored when you went back to work or did you have to pump just as much at work?
And I basically just need tips so I can be sure I won't be supplmenting with formulas more than absolutley necessary. Thanks!

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 12:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped enough before hand to make sure she had enough to get through the next day. I did this by pumping one side while she nursed on the other about 2 weeks before I went back to work. I then pumped 3 times a day for 15 minutes each, but I had a bit of oversupply from pumping one side while nursing the other and got plenty for her to eat. I would take the bottles I pumped Monday and let her eat it Tuesday and what she didn't eat got transferred to Wednesday and by Friday I would have about 2 bottles to freeze. I would then pull the oldest frozen out for Monday and follow the same pattern again. By the time she was 11 months old I slowly stopped pumping and she had plenty frozen to get her through until 13 months when she refused it in a bottle or cup. She is still happily nursing straight from the tap at 28 months now with no pumping.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It's best if you can use fresh milk. If you have time to pump at work and you are good at pumping then you won't have to save up ahead of time. Your baby will nurse more when you are around also.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I am in school, and I pump ever 2 to 3 hours and I also pump after Im done breastfeeding here. It ups your milk supply. But I have alot of milk sorted bc my baby was in the NICU for a week and I was pumping all the time. My baby is 2 weeks and 4 days and I pump over 4 oz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I stayed home, but had to pump (my son never latched) and I pumped every time he ate. (every 3 hrs) to keep up supply.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• However often baby eats. Before I went back to work, I tandem pumped while she was eating. Once I was back at work, I'd nurse before we left in the morning, pump 3 times a day, and nurse as soon as I picked her up. Depending on how I was feeling, I might also pump right before bedtime.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 1:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I had practically nothing stored when I went back to work. So don't do what I did and blow the stash while you're on leave!

Pump one side while nursing the other every morning. You can start now if you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009