I've seen this asked before but it never gets much attention..

I'm a single mom. I think I'm finally ready to date after a year. Here is the problem...I live in a SMALL town. I don't know how to meet men. I don't go to curch so that is out. Nobody around here really hangs out at parks or anything, I've seen that suggestion many times also. PLEASE give me some ideas on how to meet GOOD men not men at the bar!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Online

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• OP here....I'm on several online sites and nobody around here is on them :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• is there a bigger town/city near you?
    if there is try going there
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Find and join volunteer groups. Take classes. Parents Without Partners is a good group.

Answer by Bmat at 12:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• the gym, the grocery store, i met my dh at a gas station randomly! keep your eyes peeled!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Expand your "around here" area - like, maybe the guy you meet won't be in your town, but he might be one town over, or 30 minutes down the road, or etc.

You could take a class - either at a college - if you're wanting someone a little older than right out of hs, you can take classes in the evening where you're more likely to meet non traditional students. Or, take a class at a community center.

You might have to go out of town for this, but seriously, try places where guys hang out - comic book conventions (not all of them are the stereotypical "geeky guy who lives in his mom's basement and has never gone on a date" type people - many are very nice, normal guys), or that sort of thing.

Also, ask your friends who are in relationships if their guy has a friend, brother, etc. Network ;-)

But, again, especially if you live in a really small area, you might have to look to a nearby community.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I've met most of the men I've dated at work. If you're really looking to meet people, ask your friends and neighbors if they know anyone they can introduce you to.
    Some of my friends have had good luck with online relationships. Even if they're not super close by, you may develop a friendship that would be worth relocating for. Just be open to all experiences. Good luck.
    Mary0791

Answer by Mary0791 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Hola! I'm a single mom in a small town.

My own personal trick, when I was ready to start dating, was simply to hang out w/ my friends, doing things that I enjoy doing. Don't go looking for a guy; just go on about your life. If he's right for you, he'll find you.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 1:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Start looking around...who's your mailman, repairman, plumber, mechanic, etc. You never know where you might find him.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I live in a small town, too. We have 2 stop lights - that only recently became real stop lights instead of flashing yellow or red. LOL

I found that online was a really good way, but instead of looking for just your town, look for the next biggest town near you. As an example, if you lived say an hour outside Atlanta, look in Atlanta. Sometimes, people assume that no one will know their town and so they list the next big town. So, you might find a guy that says he lives in whatever town, but really lives in your town, or in between or something. And sometimes, too, when you live in a small town, just like with other conveniences, you just might be stuck driving a little distance in order to date.

I also found that going to places that interested me helped me meet guys I had things in common with. Think bookstores, library, movies, mini golf courses, things like that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009