Is it safe to take a multi-vitamin?

I breast feed and all these vitamins and multi-vitamins say to consult a doctor before taking if nursing or pregnant. My doctor said to get a multi-vitamin for nursing mothers but all I found is a multi-vitamin for women. Is it OK to take that instead?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 12:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could ask the pharmacist too. Or you could grab an OTC prenatal like 1-a-day or whatever and double check with the pharmacist if that's safe although it should be because it's the same thing that was in your prenatal.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If the vitamin says consult a doctor then why would you ask people that aren't doctors that you don't even know? I would recommend talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You should be able to take the same vitamin you took while pregnant. In fact, my doc said to keep taking my prenatal as long as I was nursing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Agreed....if it says "consult a doctor" why are you asking us?
    Anonymous

• Why aren't you still taking your prenatal vitamin?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I took one when I did. Just go for an organic one to keep artificial junk out.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I just stayed on my OTC prenatal while breastfeeding.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Can't you continue taking Prenatals?
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Well, thanks to those of you who actually offered answers. And to those of you who got all judgmental and seemingly rude...if you must know, I lost my job and with it, my insurance. I have applied for new insurance but it has not kicked in yet. My old doctor will no longer help me so I thought I would pose the questions to other moms since *most* of them have been helpful. So thanks to those who helped and the rest of you can "bite me" for being rude.
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 1:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009