Apple pie filling recipe?

So I have 3 or 4 apples and a frozen pie crust. No clue what to do next to make an apple pie? Any tips/recipes would be greatly appreciated! :)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I put a couple tablespoons of flour over the bottom of the crust, then peel, core, and slice up the apples, then pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of sugar over the apples, sprinkle cinnamon, and maybe another teaspoon or so of flour. Some people also put some dots of butter over. The only thing is I use a top crust or even a lattice crust on top which still needs a second crust. If you have only one crust, and only 3-4 apples, a tart might be a better idea. A little flour on the bottom, mound the apples in the middle, sugar, cinnamon, then pull the sides of the crust up and over gently so that the outer part of the apples are covered by crust. It is OK for the middle to not be covered. Bake 400 degrees roughly 50 minutes until nicely browned. watch it after the first 30 minutes.

Answer by Bmat at 12:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I prepare the apples (peel, core, thinly slice) and mix 1 tsp of vanilla in with the apple slices. I then mix in a small bowl: 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg together and then add this to the apple slices and stir it up. Line the pan with the bottom crust, add the filling and then put the top crust over the top. Use a fork or your fingers to seal the crusts together. Poke some holes in the top crust. Bake at 400 for about an hour.

I have also seen folks add a couple pats of butter on top of the apples, but I think it just adds extra fat and calories. I don't notice a big difference in the taste.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• peel and cut apples. Toss with lemon juice, sugar and flour. I throw in a handful of dried cranberries, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• and cinnamon and ground ginger

Answer by rkoloms at 3:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009