Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a risk with mental issues?

If the Grand mother of your baby has A mentally disabled son, brother & cousin. Does this increase the risk of it being in your child? Or is this just a fluke coincidence? Would it prevent you from having children?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Health

Answers (4)
  • Do you mean mental illness, low IQ, or wierd. Mental illness does run in families. Part of IQ has to do with your parent's IQ. Families can make people wierd.

    Bipolar disorder, depression, OCD, anxiety, and alcoholism are all believed to have genetic risk factors. Other mental illness may also.

    Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

  • It could increase the chances depending on what particular disease they have, find out what it is exactly and do some research. For me this would not prevent me from having children, I figure that some people are just meant to be handicapped, and if it ends up being one of my kids in the future then I think I would love them just as much. My step-brother is mentally handicapped and there is no where our family would be even close to complete without him. But you have to do what you think is right for you. Like I said find out what it is and do some research. After that if you find out it is genetic have yourself and your SO tested for the gene by the doctor if you are still concerned.


    Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

  • You should go w/so and have you both tested by a genetic counselor,ask your general practioner or GYN to refer you. My dh and I did after one of our twins was born w/an illness.
    It should tell you if the mental disabilities in the family are genetic or a fluke. My best friend has something called fragile X that runs in her family. She has two brothers and one of her sons has it. She has a healthy dd and ds. It's worth it to get tested. GL

    Answer by momthruivf at 12:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

  • You should see a genetic counselor if you are concerned.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.