Weaning a 20 month old...

Any advice on how to wean a 20 month old from breastfeeding?

babyg34

Asked by babyg34 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If the baby is already drinking lots of other fluids I would just stop offering the breastmilk and give it only upon request. I did this with my 17 month old and it took 3 days and then he stopped asking for it. Seemed to just forget about it completely. It was very low stress, nobody was unhappy and it felt natural. Good Luck!
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Get your child used to a sippy cup. Wean slowly if you like, cut out one feeding per week, then another, then another.
    When I weaned and I was down to 1 feeding a day, the night night feeding, I wanted to stop completely so I brought in the sippy cup in my babies room with lights dimmed, let him take some sips, and rocked my baby. This is how I transitioned all my kids.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• That's wonderful that you have been breastfeeding your child. My daughter is going on 19 months and she still breastfeeds. She has a healthy appetite with solid foods, but she still prefers breastmilk. I ve thought about weaning her and have tried but it seemed as if it was torturing her so I'm gonna let her wean herself. Most of the time she's not really feeding it's just for comfort. She wants to nurse alot when she's sick, or when she is sleepy, etc. If you are trying to wean your child you can do so. It might be difficult, but they will get over it.
    luvelymommy

Answer by luvelymommy at 5:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think it depends on how often your kid nurses. . .What I did was drop the least fav feedings (nap time) first and replace it with stories and rocking. A few weeks later we dropped morning feeding and replaced with milk sippy (did this on a weekend so dada could do the feeding the first 2 mornings). couple more weeks later I tackled the night time feeding. First week I limited feeding time to 15 minutes. Second week I cut back to 10 minutes and read a story. Third week we nursed 5 minutes and read 2 stories. Forth week it was 3 stories and no nursing. Oh, I also had to hid the boppy at the start of week 4 or my son would drag it over and whine. It took a while but I think going that slow was best for Chris and myself. I was never really engorged and he never really had a hard time except the first day or two after a feeding was dropped/cut down. Good luck

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009