Would I save more money if I started clipping coupons?

Okay, bear with me here. We shop at Aldi and Wal-Mart ONLY for our groceries. If we can't get it at either place, we go without. It's saved us money, but it would be nice if we could save a little more.

Would it be a waste to clip coupons? Would the discounted items, if bought at Wal-Mart, be cheaper than the non-discounted items at Aldi? My husband says it would be a waste because if I use a coupon on something at Wal-Mart, it'll still be more expensive than the stuff at Aldi.

Confusing, I know.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Shopping

• I cut coupons and I save a lot of money. You just have to do a little investigating first, so it might take you a little while to get the feel for what items are more expensive at which store. Also, many times, the coupons you can get are what's called manufacturers coupons - so you can use them at any store, and some (not all - so ask first) stores will honor their competitor's prices.

Also, you have to make sure it's an item you will actually use. Something else to consider - if, say, product A costs 5.00, but product B costs 3.50, even with $1.00 item A, item B would still be cheaper. Plus, if you have the storage space and it's not something that will go bad, use several coupons and get multiple packs of the item and store them - especially when you can time the coupon with a sale.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We don't have Aldi down here, so can't help you on this one.

If you're loyal to Walmart - you probably won't save much. Most of the time their generics are cheaper than what you could get the name-brand for w/ a coupon -- mainly because they don't double coupons. Now - IF you use coupons AND make them price match stuff... you might save a little.

If you're not a "store loyal" & "brand loyal" person.. then yes, you can save TONS, but it's a lot of work. Kroger's doubles & triples manufacturer's coupons & has a lot of "10 for $10 sales". It's a lot of planning & organization, but I know of a single mom of 3 who fed her family for a YEAR on $800. Yes, the WHOLE family, the WHOLE year --- $800.

www.hotcouponworld.com is a forum FULL of information & "veteren coupon queens" that can give advice & strategies - they also alert you to new coupons + special sales so you can get the best deals.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• So Aldi is cheaper than Wal-Mart but doesn't take coupons? I'd say you'd have to actually calculate the difference. If both places take coupons, then there would be a savings as long as the item on the coupon is something you'd buy already. If you only buy a certain brand name soup, and you have a coupon for that soup, then you'd save money. But if you usually buy the store brand that is cheaper, then to buy the brand name even with a coupon might be more expensive. You'd need to actually compare and calculate. I'd recommend clipping coupons. If some don't work out as a savings, all you've lost is a few minutes, and you might save money.

Answer by Bmat at 12:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• cont

Plus, often times if you call the manufacturer about a specific product, they will send you coupons. I once had a question about Tide (I needed HE, they carried it, then all of a sudden it said HE for front loaders, and, stupid as it sounds, I wasn't sure if I could use it in an HE top loader machine, so I called to ask). They sent me like $5 - $10 bucks worth of coupons for Tide.

I know it can be a little confusing and time consuming to use coupons a lot at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy.

I'm not nearly as "hard core" about it as some of my friends, and it's not uncommon for me to save anywhere from $10 - $20 a shopping trip. So, if you average that and say $15 every 2 weeks, that's $30 a month, or $360 a year. Over time, that adds up... My more hard core friends save a lot more than that.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh cait, we need to talk :p
    WalMart is horrible. With coupons you can go to your regular grocery store and pay less than WalMart, and then only fill in with things like milk and eggs at Aldi if you have to. I'm PMing you
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I do better buying generic than any coupon or Walmart sale. I have tried it many ways I have found generic Safeway (my grocer) to be the best route to save money. I also look at the drugstore ads, they have the oddest things like soup or laundry soap super cheap with a coupon. I go there just for that and save a few bucks. Here, there, it all adds up. I agree WalMart is only cheaper for name brand stuff which to me is a waste most of the time. Try the generic Target brands, they are great, particularly things like sauces and spices.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Don't those stores accept coupons? Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Feel free to send me a message offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I personally am horrible with coupons. I either misplace them or I use them on unnecessary things. lol. I think the coupons actually ended up costing me more than I usually spend! =D If your good at avoiding things you don't need then it's worth a shot.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• imo, no.
    i consider my time as money. any time wasted on clipping searching and organizing coupons to me-is money wasted. and time i could spend doing other things of more importance. i think shopping is a science, unit prices should be compared always, sales on meat items a must, and shopping and cooking from a pantry instead of out of a frozen food box is the way to not spend money to begin with. if you buy with coupons you are buying name brand foods that already cost more, have more packing you don't eat, and less food is available in the package. also, prepared foods equal more chemicals, sodium and fat.
    if you just learn to shop to fill a freezer and pantry, and cook from scratch 90% of the time, your food bill will be lower.
    nothing bothers me more than to see a mom buying frozen pancakes with a coupon, 12 for $3.50. you can make 12 at home & freeze for about 24 cents.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• We do most of our grocery shopping at Walmart and I can save about 10 bucks on top of Walmart's already low prices. Doesn't seem like much but when you factor in that we shop on a weekly basis and 10 bucks is the average and they're 4 weeks in a month - we save 40 bucks or more using our coupons. I take that 40bucks and hey, that's dinner out for my family of 4 or Saturday afternoon activity. Heck now that I think about it that's a trip to the salon for me - :-)

We also shop at Trader Joes and they don't accept any coupons that I know of - and they're not cheap but the few items we love to get there are totally worth it.

I say a dollar saved anywhere is one more dollar in my wallet.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2009