at what age or stage

is it ok to refeed a bottle?
i mean like putting a bottle back in the fridge to finish later.
i have been done this a couple of times since he has been 3 months, and have noticed no ill effects. does this mean it's ok to keep doing if needed....b/c sometimes i make too much or not enough the first time...

ColeysMommy2

Asked by ColeysMommy2 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We always did with expressed milk (there was no way I wanted to pour the liquid gold down the drain) so if he didn't finish it went in the fridge but if he didn't finish the next time we dumped it out.
    I really don't see what the big deal about it is anyway... food in general isn't sterile and babies are constantly putting things in their mouths... what is the harm of a little saliva in a bottle?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There is a risk of making your baby very sick from germ growth in the bottle.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I always did that as well with no side effects. If your child is healthy, I do not see the harm. I am not a doctor just a Mom and that is my experience.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You're not supposed to do that because you introduce germs to the contents of the bottle which could potentially make your baby VERY sick (we're talking in the hospital puking and diarrhea sick). Is it worth that risk? Make smaller bottles and then add more if they want more rather than making the bottles too big.

It's NEVER okay to "refeed" a bottle after an hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• the only "germs" that get into the bottle are the germs in your baby's mouth. Bacteria growth is severely stunted by refrigeration. As long as its not longer than a few hours I would say its fine. My 8 month old is still alive, and has never vomited. He had diarrhea once when taking an antibiotic.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Just because it "can" happen, doesn't mean it WILL. But is it worth the risk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009