• In the Spotlight:

Is it okay to have just a reception?

My boyfriend and I plan to get married in a year or two. We want a private ceremony on an exotic beach, but want to have a large reception at home. The few people that know about this plan don't seem to happy about it. What are your thoughts?

camiam81

Asked by camiam81 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, it's fine...I wouldn't go expecting a lot of gifts but it's still a celebration of the marriage
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Your marriage is about you and your spouse. That being said if you want to get married in a private ceremony or invite the whole town that is between you and your future spouse. You can make a very nice annoucement and enclose a photo of you and your new husband (perhaps at th wedding site) along with an invitation to the celebration of your marriage. Follow your heart and kindly explain to your friends and family how important this day is to you and that includes the ceremony and you can't wait to celebrate with them later.
    camiregirl

Answer by camiregirl at 12:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I've heard of this arrangement before, and it is fine. This way the guests don't need to spend a lot of money on an expensive destination wedding, yet they get to celebrate the marriage with a party. I hadn't heard of people not bringing presents. If they know the couple well enough to be invited to the celebration, then they'd want to give a gift, - my opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 12:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• we didnt have a real wedding we just went to the court house and got married then had a small reception afterwords and had family only ...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have heard of this as well. I have no problem with it, but as you mention there are many that do. I would do what works for you and know that there may be some that refuse to attend. That is their choice and just a part of life, not making everyone happy. Just make sure that you do not get angry or kill a friendship over it, its their loss not yours!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The only reason few people don't feel happy about it is because you basically you are not including them in the major celebration of the event. In other words reception is an aftermath.

Why do the aftermath anyway? 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• we had a wedding and reception on the same day. We had people that were invited to both, and people who were just invited to the reception. We never got any flack about it from the reception only invites
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with a private wedding and a separate reception. A lot of people do this.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Do what you want. It's about you two, not everyone else.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I sure home it is fine, bc that is what I am doing!! lol we are getting married in the mountains then coming home for the reception
    gottalovemyboys

Answer by gottalovemyboys at 5:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009