Should I vaccinate my 1 year old for Swine Flu?

My pediatricain is recommending a swine flu vaccination for my one year old. We live in the heart of LA, so I have to assume my child will be exposed to everything. Any comments from Moms who have done a little research, especially Moms with a Nursing/medical background?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 12:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• NO. Or that's our view. We living in LA, and we feel that our children will be better off not getting it. By the way my dh is in school right now to be a paramedic. He is currently working as a Basic, we have friends who are nurses that don't recommend getting the shot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• That's a personal choice. I don't think that any of our opinions should matter. YOU know your child, YOU know your environment. So the question really, is do YOU feel that the the shot is the best thing for your child? Do you feel she is in danger of getting the swine flu? Do YOU feel she will be fine without it? Honestly, IMO, all you're going to get on here are BIASED opinions.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No, the swine Flu is like the regular seasonal Flu, no more dangerous. They have tried to make it out like it's a huge pandemic and it will kill everyone, but that's not true at all. It's treatable with regular Flu medicine from the Dr. and the vaccines are probably way worse. In fact, I heard a Dr. say that he would not vaccinate his own kids with this because it is more dangerous than the actual Flu. I think they are trying to get this vaccine to everyone so they can only get money. Also, the virus they inject you with in the vaccine is the actual swine flu virus, and in case you didn't know, virus's can mutate and actually make you sick. That's why a lot of people have gotten the Flu after getting the regular Flu vaccine. I would not ever get a vaccine that has just came out and not had enough testing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Anon 12:52PM, how do you think vaccines work? Whenever you get a vaccination, the virus is in there. With the flu, the virus that they inject you with is dead.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Not every opinion is biased.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• vaccines are made out of the inactive virus. your body is injected with the virus, and your immune system forms a shield against that virus.
    best bet, it to listen to your pediatrician. Are your kids in school/daycare?
    I am planning on getting the h1n1 shot because I work with the public, and am always bringing home something........... i would feel HORRIBLE should something happen to one of my kids because I brought the swine flu home.. plus, i just got over a regular stomach flu virus, and i wouldn't wish that on anyone............................

katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 1:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• http://vaccineriskawareness.com/Swine-Flu-Vaccine

http://vaccineriskawareness.com/Swine-Flu-Epidemic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. It is my understanding that the H1N1 vaccine will have Thimerisol/mercury.
    As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this: With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves? According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children. Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

• u may not think its a huge deal anon 1252 but the mother of the 14 yr old girl that died 3 days ago would disagree its up to u if u want to get ur child the shot or not but it is not like the regular flu very few people die from the regular flu and its estimated that 600,000 people are gonna die from the swine flu im on the fence about it w my son too but my sister s hubby is in the military and the govt is gettin all of them vaccinated and they r tryin to make it mandatory just like all other vaccines do u think the govt would give a harmful vaccine to their military? i understand u not wantin to get ur kids vaccinated bc if u do and somethin happens to them thats ur fault but if u dont do it and they get it and die thats nature either way its a tough desicion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009