group pitch in items-baby shower

so there are a couple big ticket items that i'm needing for the baby. my mother says that she has never seen on invitations saying something about pitching into a group item(s). i'm not sure i have either. my concern is that no one will pitch in for the big items i'm needing. have you done that ? how was the wording and what was the result? my mother said she would buy the item but i don't want her spending all her money since she has no income coming in at all. plus she is already giving me the baby shower.

also should i register or just make a list of items needed so they can buy the items used.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never seen it on the invite, but tell a few close friends of some big stuff you want. I received almost all of my smaller items so hubby and I could afford to buy the big stuff. Do not expect to get everything you need for baby at the shower, it would be nice, but usually does not work out that way! I would register too and put "gift cards" on the registry as well so you can use them towards a large purchase.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• At my shower, my SIL, my mom, and about 5 close friends went in together and got me a stroller, bassinet, bath tub, crib and crib set and a bunch of bottles and clothes. I didn't know they were doing it until after the fact, but tell some people who are close to you about your idea, that way if they do it they will still be spending the same amount and you'll get what you need. And what I did after my shower was over I took back items I had doubles and triples of and bought his car seat and swing.

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It would be poor manners to put that on the invitation. I'd have your mother, sister or best friend spread the word to others attending the party. Also, see if you can put gift certificates on your registry & don't include a lot of unnecessary little stuff. That way, people can figure it out for themselves.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My immediate thought for this would be to discuss it with your family.. I don't know your family dynamics, but I know with my family, I have a lot of aunts, uncles and siblings that could come together to buy a bigger gift.. that would be easier because they know each other, and they could each pitch in a certain amount, etc.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• if u are really strict on money right now.. this is what my bestfriend did.. PUT the 5 big things u need thats what a babyshower if for and put a note on the bottom how much money u need to get those things and people will pitch in! if u need a baby seat put it up there, its your day and your babies day! its everything for u, thats what a baby shower is for honey.! but u dont want a bunch of people buying the SAME stuff like everyone buying you a stroller lol that wouldnt be good so i would register at walmart or something like that thats not too expensive.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 1:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Tacky, tacky, tacky to include anything asking for specific gifts, or money so you can put it towards a specific item!!! Also tacky EXPECTING gifts! Gifts are given by people because they want to...not because you require it for the party!

Register for all the items you need or want. Let your hostess know where you are registered and then SHE can pass on the information when the guests call to RSVP and ask if you have registered anywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• for my first baby the girls that i worked with passed around an envelope so people could pitch in for the changing table. i registered and put a list in the invitations... that way they could get used items. sometimes it is really hard to find the things on the registry, babysrus is so big- very overwhelming to my friends that knew nothing about baby stuff!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 1:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Tacky, tacky, tacky to include anything asking for specific gifts, or money so you can put it towards a specific item!!! Also tacky EXPECTING gifts! Gifts are given by people because they want to...not because you require it for the party!

its a baby SHOWER... meaning shower them with gifts! i think showing up at a baby shower without a gift is tacky!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2009