When is it TOO early to start effacing when pregnant?

I know women can walk around dialated and effaced for weeks before giving birth (I was 4cm and 100% effaced at 34 weeks the first time, gave birth at 37 weeks). But when is it TOO early to start effacing?

caphillmom603

Asked by caphillmom603 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if you have already has a baby you will already be effaced day one of your pregnancy! Your cervix never fully goes back to normal
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Really? I had my first 6 years ago.

I had my cervix checked at 24 weeks (precautionary) and it was hard and long, 0%. At 26 weeks, I was there for a different appt, and they checked me again b/c of my history, and she said it was 50% effaced. Isn't this super early?
    caphillmom603

Answer by caphillmom603 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My cervix was 25% effaced at my 19 weeks u/s so it doesnt seem early to me! I was 70% effaced at 31 weeks with my last one and didnt have her til 38 weeks so I really wouldnt stress on it. I know its hard not to but it can take a LONG time to go from 50% to 100%
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009