Who is to blame for obesity?

NOT INCLUDING OTHER HEALTH ISSUES LIKE THYROID PROBLEMS, PCOS, ECT. Who is to blame for America's problems with obesity? Is it the individual for neglecting their health, or is it all the other factors in the American culture like fast food, processed food, advertisements, ect.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe it's each individuals choice on what they eat, when they exercise, etc.  Just because fast food is "convenient" doesn't mean that it's best.  I think that other than health problems each person is responsible for what they do with their well being.  My best friend is considered "overweight".  She has no health problems.  She eats great, she exercises every single day.  It's just the way she is.  She's comfortable with that.  I think someone who says "oh I wish I could lose weight" while they are stuffing themselves full of Big Macs and Ho Ho Cakes should get food counseling.  If your comfortable with you then well, that's all that matters.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• McDonalds
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Ultimately it comes down to accountability. No one is forcing anyone to overeat, although there are factors that make it too easy sometimes. Everything you listed contributes, but to place blame is a waste of time. It serves no real purpose. People do things that are bad for their health all the time. Obesity is a disease in the same way that drug and alcohol addiction are diseases. There needs to be programs put in place so that even low-income people are able to seek help and lose weight and be healthy. Thin doesn't always mean healthy - people need to realize this too.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i think it is a mixture but lets face it no ones shoving the big mac down anyones thraot
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think that in between personal choice (picking healthier choices) and economy (what you can afford to buy) is where the blame lies. While you may not buy bic macs, you may not be able to afford healthy choices in the grocery store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Obesity is such a wide concept...Obese is anyone more than 5 pounds over their "recomended weight"...My recomended weight is 120...Even when I was a freshman in highschool, skinny, fit, walking to and from school everyday (at least 2 miles 1 way). The smallest I remember being is 140, which is basically what I am now (minus pregnancy). I personally think that MSG is a weight factor though since it has a proven record to make people gain weight...You can visit my profile and check out my journal about what I found out about MSG.
    Although I am concidered overweight, you can't really tell, and my main concern is if someone is healthy...can they run a block without dying? Play with their kids and not have problems? Or even tie there shoes without having to sit down to reach their foot? As long as you can do these things easily, who cares what the scale says?
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There isn't any one cause. Personal choice is great, but you can't force your employer to give you the option to leave your desk to move around or let you take breaks long enough to eat something healthy. Reality is people have to work and our job choices have all gotten more and more sedentary over time. It used to be you could eat biscuits and gravy every day because you worked it off over the next eight hours.
    As a trade off, people have to eat fewer and fewer calories, but too many don't have the first clue how. They try starving themselves and don't eat the right mix of foods instead of eating high bulk-low calorie foods, their body revolts, and they gain back more than they lost.
    Add to that each person is different. There is no "universal" plan for everyone. Some people need more carbs, some need more protein. Some start in group A and gradually turn into group B. Finding the right one is experimentation & luck.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• mostly the individual. i ate too much & didnt exercise enough & now im fat. sure there were other factors like the unbelievable amount of stress i was under at the time or the fact that i was eating from my college's cafeteria where everything was fried or drowning in butter. but it really comes down to me. i could have exercised, but i didnt want to. i could have eaten cold sandwiches every meal, but i didnt want to. plus, to blame a company just b/c they sell something delicious but calorie-ridden is stupid...no one MADE you eat there...those ppl need counseling.

as for society, i think some of it has to do w/ the bad stuff being cheap & the good stuff being expensive. did you know that in other countries its the other way around. fast food in Japan costs a TON but you can get healthy stuff for cheap. my friend from Kazakhstan was ticked when she saw how much we pay for healthy foods here, b/c its not like that there.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Parents that feed their children. Then the adults who open their mouth to feed themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• parents of the kids (who raise them to eat crap), and the adults who chose to have unhealthy lifestyles, which i am guilty of too, even though i am not that fat.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009