Bunk beds?

I have 2 daughters ages 4 and 9 months they share a room already and I want to make more space by adding a bunk bed. I am waiting until my younger daughter turns one to get it. Do you think she is to young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• sounds like a good plan to me.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• nope as long as she doesnt fall out of it maybe get a rail to put up along side till she gets a little older
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I know that with most bunk beds, a child has to be 5 to sleep on the top bunk. I don't know if your youngest is really "too small", but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a 1 y/o on a twin bed... As long as you follow rule of the min age on top, it should be ok?
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• we were just at a furniture store 2 weekends agoand the warning labels on the bunk beds stated 6 y.o. and up for the top bunk.......
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Waaaaaaay to young! You may not put the youngest on the top bunk, but sooner or later she'll figure out how to get up there and then it's just a matter of time before you're in the ER. We have a 5 & 2 year old who share a room, and based on the way they behave at night I wouldn't put Bunk beds in there until the youngest is big enough to safely get in and out of the top bunk.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would wait until she is old enough to sleep on her own in a big girl bed and a lot of children aren't quite ready for one at the age of 1.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• She'll be fine in the bottom bunk, the only problem is the ladder or stairs to the top bunk. You can't really block them to keep the baby off them because the older girl might need to get down in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I got bunk beds for my girls, but still have them separated into two twin beds.

According to most bunk bed manufacturers, a child should not be on the top bunk until AT LEAST age 6.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 1:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• They are both too young. Bunk beds are not recommended for kids under the age of 6. If you search for accidents involving children and bunkbeds you will quickly see why it is not a risk worth taking.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You 4 yr old is too young to be on a top bunk even if you didn't have to worry aboutt he little one climbing up there too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009