Do over? If you could do one thing differently as a parent, what would it be?

Is there anything you would take back or do differently as a parent? What one thing would you prefer to change about the past or even your current style?

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 1:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would yell less! And yelling is so hard to back down from. Once you start down that path, it's hard to change. I work on this daily. I pray, or walk into another room or call a friend. I had a friend a while back talk about struggling with this and I didn't understand her because my kids were so young. But that would be the one thing I would redo and am working on now to do less!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 1:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My kids are still little (3 and newborn) but i'm already struggling with yelling. 3 year olds can break the strongest of resolution! I work on it every day, but it's hard! I dont want to look back in 10 years and think "MAN i yelled too much!". I know my mom did that. She quit yelling though, so i suppose i can do it! So if i could change one thing, that's what it would be!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would have waited until I was older to have kids. I wouldn't trade my son for the world but if I could go back and wait and still get the exact same son, that would be wonderful! I love him but I know I got pregnant too young and that made it harder for both of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wouldn't have gotten pregnant in college. Dh and I were only married for 3 months when I got pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would have worried less about being embarrassed about my PPD with my oldest and gotten the help I needed instead of trying to deal with it on my own. Thankfully it never got out of control, but it was miserable and terrifying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yelling, cursing, spanking, time outs, kids eating habits, taming tantrums, getting more help from family members with the kids...

Actually, I don't think I would change much. My daughters 2 & 1/2 was counting 1-20, Spanish 1-10, the complete alphabet by 2. And now my son is following suit. I started using it as a way to get out of time out. I they could do all 3 they could get out of time out early. Now I'm working in 1+1=2, 1+2=3, etc.

We all think about things that we would do different but it comes down to making a change in what we're doing now that counts most.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would have picked a better father. High school boys who smoke pot, drink and party don't make good fathers. ;( (of course I didnt' plan the pregnancy) but it all worked out wonderfully.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My son is only 22 months and I wish I wouldn't yell so much too and would have more patience. I Hate that I've spanked him twice already. I SWORE I'd Never do that.. I hate it that I lost my temper those times. I love him SO much it hurts!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Lets see i have to sleep with my 9 month old otherwise he cries forever. I would somehow have changed that. My poor husband sleeps on the couch. Its gonna be hard to make baby number 2 with these sleeping arrangements lol
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009