Is there a way to improve breast milk?

By the time my second son was 9 months his weight was off the bottom of the growth charts and I had to start supplementing formula. Now my third is having the same problem at the same age. My Ped. seems to think it may be an issue with my breast milk, I'm afraid that I'm possibly not getting enough calories or possibly something missing in my diet? Is there anything I can do that will effect the calorie content/quality of my breast milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First make sure the ped is using the chart for BREASTFED babies and not the one for formula fed babies. There is a big difference as they get older. Second my doc says as long as they stay within plus or minus 10% of where they were born they are fine. Mine were both light weights at birth and both fell off the charts at one point, but considering they weren't even 10% at birth the doc was fine with it as long as the next appointment they had come up a little. The one thing I didn't see mentioned with a 9 month old is to nurse BEFORE any food is given since breastmilk is the only thing they need right now and they food is only for practice. Oh and not only were mine small weight wise, but they were 90% and 70% height wise approximately so they looked skinny too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Are you still taking prenatal vitamins?? You should while you are breast feeding. Do you eat a healthy diet? I know that when i am BFing, i eat probably twice as much as usual. I'm ALWAYS hungry!!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Pediatricians are not always well educated in the breastmilk department, might be one (or one) of a few possibilities.
    If you want to speak with a lactation consultant, a breastmilk specialist, you can work on this issue and see what you find.
    Sometimes moms are encouraged to consume fattier foods to help baby gain. To nurse more at night when the hindmilk is more fat-rich. Co-sleeping, nursing on-demand, babywearing, no bottles, formula, pacifiers, etc. to deter the milk supply production.

Some babies are lean, naturally. I have one lean baby and one chunk, both at opposite ends of the growth chart, lol.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have NO idea why they came up anon, I take a multivitamin but it's not a prenatal. I try to eat well, but it gets crazy w/the three boys and I do occasionally forget to eat breakfast or lunch. I definitely wouldn't say my diet is poor though, lots of fruits and veggies very little junk no soda, the occasional cup of coffee. My son's 9 months and I'm back at pre-baby weight without any dieting or intentional exercise. I really thought I was taking good care of myself and the boys but now I have this feeling of inadequacy thinking that my milks not good enough for the little guy!

The LO def doesn't look malnourished, he's no chunky monkey but he's got a little pudge on the thighs and nice round belly! I don't see how he could possibly be a full INCH below the last line of the growth chart.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We've always co-slept and he's up walking a lot now, doesn't nap much. I think he's just running a lot it off. My last was very active to and his weight never picked up until he was 1, now he's off the top of the growth chart! Thanks for the link, he has gained over 2lbs in the last 2 months so that was fairly reassuring, guess we'll just keep doing what we're doing and hope it works out.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Is he losing weight? Is he eating anything besides breast milk? Is he gaining anything at all? Honestly, there may not be a problem.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• He's been gaining regularly it'd his curve that's dropping off. I just looked @ the WHO's growth charts and according to them he's at about the 10th percent!! He does eat table food, I nurse him before we sit down for meals and he eats with us.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Make sure you drink plenty of water. Eat dark leafy greens daily...a large salad. And eat plenty of fruits. All this will create beautiful and nutritious milk.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• From what you are telling me, I don't see a problem. In your shoes, I'd continue with things just the way they are. Keep up the good work!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009