Ni Hao-Kailan vs. Dora then Explorer...Is it about the same?

I was in the kitchen when I notice Kai-lan was on but really didn't get into it but managed to noticed it kind of reminded me of Dora, Is that what it is a chinese version of Dora?

Which do you think is easier to learn Spanish or Chinese?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Probably Spanish and yes it is similar to Dora only Chinese. I prefer Dora myself.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It kindof is only instead of having a map and a "mission" they just play. They try to solve things like why they were mad and what to do about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I like ni hoa much more than dora...Dora has started to be only some english (in my opinion). Then again I didn't watch much of Ni Hoa, just a couple episodes that seemed cute.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• In essence...yes. But the two shows are cultural education as well. I think that Chinese would probably easier to learn. Most kids like pictures and the words are..well, pictures! Plus Spanish has a lot of conjugations, and various meanings to one word. So, Ni Hao-Kailan gets my vote!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Kai-lan is so cute. I prefer it to Dora. It makes me happy, LOL! She speaks a ton of Chinese, and I personally find it fun to learn Chinese words. I already know most of the Spanish words Dora talks about, so it's a little boring and repetitive. When it gets down to it, Kai-lan is the Chinese version of Dora.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Spanish is WAY easier than Chinese. Spanish & English are both based in Latin...and they both have a very similar alphabet.... so it's a pretty easy transition.

CHINESE, however, has NO alphabet & is based off tones (4 tones in Mandarin Chinese, 6 tones in Cantonese, and there are several other lesser used Chinese languages). Unlike English or Spanish (where you have a set number of letters who all have their own sound & you combo those letters/sounds to form words), the Chinese language is based on symbols - some 80,000 of them. It's extremely difficult to master --- or to even get the basics down. However, if you can learn the symbols, you can communicate throughout China because the written language is "universal", even if the pronunciations are different.

The two shows are similar, but Kai-lan does a better job of it, IMO.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Dora and Kai-Lan kind of look alike - they have the same shape head and eyes. I believe Spanish is easier b/c they use the same type of alphabetic symbols as English whereas Chinese uses character symbols. If you grew up learning the characters, then Chinese may be easier. I think Kai-Lan concentrates more on behavior while Dora is about everything else.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 2:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i'd say NAVAJO. lol I am a Navajo and i find the language very hard to speak myself. lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• they are similar in that they teach about different cultures & languages but there is one big difference. Kai-Lan is about handling emotions & difficult situations while Dora is about shapes & counting. i like Kai-Lan better b/c she is teaching stuff that is hard to teach at the moment. i can teach shapes & numbers anytime, but feelings are a lot harder.

i would say Spanish is easier. both are pretty easy to learn to speak, but reading & writing Chinese is unbelievably hard...most Asian languages are.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• is it chinese or japanese?? It is the asian equivelant to Dora, but I find Dora just slightly less annoying. her voice doesnt drive me bonkers like kai-lan's does lol
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009