For breastfeeding moms

i just had a baby 6 days ago and everytime i feed her my nipple goes flat, so when i was at the hospital they gave me a nipple shield that helps my nipple stay out, my question is how many used it, does it take longer to feed, my baby is nursing about 45 min on each brest each feeding every 3 hours.

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry I have no idea. GL with that and thumbs up for the breastfeeding!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i used the nipple shelid bc my nipples were too large and my son had trouble latching on it is harder bc u have to wash it and then feed them and then wash it again and then if it falls off u have milk all over u and the baby and then the baby gets upset and its just a mess lol ull get use to it tho and once u get the habit of doin it it s not so bad
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i used one because i had preemies so they did not have enough strength to keep the nipple formed in their mouths. it worked awesome for me, i want to use it for this one as well. it also really helps with cracking and dryness. i eventually got good at outting it on, i found if you get the bottom wet it "sticks" to your skin better. good luck!
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• oh, and i dont think it took any longer to feed because the nipple it always formed.
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I used one briefly. Once you get the hang of BF you'll find you don't need it all the time. In fact once baby learned proper latching I never used it again. Just my personal experience.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i used for a lil bit but after a while my ds refused it so now i exclusevely pump. also when u usedthe shiled less milk gets to the baby making them in eat longer or more often. contact la leche league or see if your hospital has a lactation consultant
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Feeding time is normal, but the shield might be making it harder for baby to get milk than it needs to be

See about breast SHELLS...much better for flat nipplesa and are worn when NOT nursing.. And look for a latch-assist; it's a GENIUS device to draw out the nipple.

Shields are really the worst treatment for flat nipples.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• As gdiamante said, feeding time is perfectly normal. The most important thing about breastfeeding is patience. Nipple shields do make the milk come out a little slower. It does help if you wet the back of the shield before sticking in on. Eventually it will draw your nipples out permanently. For me it took about 8 weeks, and we tried to latch on without the shield once a day, for about a week, and then she suddenly took to it! Just give it time, and you'll be able to nurse without it.
    EmmysMamaMia86

Answer by EmmysMamaMia86 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009