Imagination question

For those of you that don't want to teach your child about Stanta (if he applies to your life) or tooth fairy, etc. becuase you want them to know the truth their whole life. How do you handle imaginative play? Do you pretend to eat your childs mud pie or pretend to be a tickle monster to play? Do you tell them Dora or Elmo isn't real? Where do you draw the line between imagination and telling the truth. And is there any real harm in letting your child believe in the fairtale/wonder that the image of santa/toothfairy/etc creates?

Just looking for ideas on the subject.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to be torn on this issue and strongly considered not telling my kids about Santa. When I found out as a child that Santa wasn't real, I was PISSED and hurt. I felt betrayed! lol.
    But I realized it's the spirit of Santa that counts. No he's not real but it is magical. You never ever have to tell your kids that santa isn't real. Tell them that as long as there is a present under the tree from santa, then there is a santa who gives gifts;) *wink wink*
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i beleived in all that stuff when i was little and i turned out just fine
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• children need pretend/fantasy it helps them to be creative
    mandielynn23

• What a drag to have you as a mom. Santa is is a fun and exciting person. I think you have major issues if you got pissed when you found out he wasn't real....Get a life!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i can't wait till my son is old enough for santa and the easter bunny and all that fun stuff but if you decide that isn't for you that is your desicion but i would be very hurt if some kid tols my young son that santa isn't real so you also have to kinda think about other children that could be affected.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Why can't you play pretend if you don't believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy/fairytales? My kids play pretend and use their imaginations all the time, otherwise they would be extremely bored/boring children. We watch cartoons, read/watch fairytales, play dress-up , and pretend just like other families. We have just chosen not to "observe" other aspects of holidays or major events. My kids (7 and 4) understand that the characters they see on TV or read about in stories might not be real (we are working on "based on actual events" with our older child). I don't think there is any harm in letting your children believe in those things, but its just not something we do in our family. They get Christmas presents and they collect Easter eggs, we don't do the Tooth Fairy but I've never understood the point of that anyway. They know that stuff comes from Mom and Dad or other family and friends. (cont.)
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My kids use their imaginations all the time. DS makes up stories for his school journal all the time. DD likes to pretend she is Angelina or Fancy Nancy (she loves to dress up and be a ballerina). Just because I teach my kids the difference between real and pretend doesn't mean they don't know how to pretend.

BTW- We have taught our kids about the original "Santa Claus" we just don't use him in our Christmas celebrations
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:24 PM on Sep. 30, 2009