Should I be concerned that my 17 1/2 month old boy isn't talking yet?

Kim486

Asked by Kim486 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• turn the tv off and talk, sing and read to him. if thats what you do then ask his doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Is he talking at all? 1/2 words or trying? When he wants something can he point at it? if so, do you get it for him right away? My son was saying like 1/2 words at that age and only we knew what they were and then at 19 months he exploded verbally.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• when he tries to talk, talk back to him in a clear voice. dont ever use baby talk. if he reaches for you because he wants you to hold him say "do you want me to hold you?" pick him up and say "okay, i'm holding you" do this all the time with other things too, like if he wants/needs something, just talk about it. even if you repeat yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• All we do all day is talk and sing and read. He knows his shapes, colors and most of his letters. He points and drags me to show me what he wants but will only say a few words. (circle and octagon)
    Kim486

Answer by Kim486 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• he says circle and octagon ? lol!! thats pretty good.. well, I actually have learned on CM that boys seems to be later in the talking area and can take up to over 2 years to want to talk - they are so busy usually doing EVERYTHING else but As a mom, I know its hard not to worry. If he's ped's want to wait it out, I'd wait- otherwise It doesn't hurt to get him checked for something either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't be concerned. Like the other ladies mentioned, you could try to focus on it a bit more by specifically addressing it with him, but I think it's pretty normal. My son didn't pick up on his vocabulary until just a month or two ago and he's 20 months old.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My son was talking very little by 18 months, and the pediatrician said not to worry at the 18 month check up. He said we'd look further into it if he was not up to speed by the 2 year check. He turned 2 in August and still isn't saying as many words as he should (he does talk, just not as much as he should). He will be having a speech/development evaluation next week.

It sounds like you are doing what you should be doing. You might start a list of all the words he does say and have it ready at his 18 month check up so you can discuss it with your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Mention it to your doctor at his 18 month checkup. By then he should have at least 6 to 10 words. (the words may not sound like real words but he uses them consistently) If he doesn't, you may want to have him evaluated. We did this with our son because he still had no words at 18 months. With speech therapy he's almost at age level (2 2/12). My suspicion is that your son will catch up just fine on his own given that he already has two words (and very non-traditional words at that!).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree with the other posters, you shouldn't worry. As long as he can direct you to things, he's probably fine -- if he wants juice, he won't say "juice" but he knows what juice is and he's happy when you give it to him.

My son is a little younger and talked early, but one of the kids in my daycare is 22 months old and only has 5-10 words. Children develop at different rates, and every mom wants their kid to be the most advanced, never even a little behind (we wouldn't be good moms if we didn't!). If you're concerned, talk to your little guy's pediatrician and see if the doctor thinks he's on the right track. Chances are, though, he's doing just fine and he'll catch up in no time.

In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing. Talk to him (no baby talk, he's not a baby -- he's a little grownup!) and read to him, tell him the words for things. The more you talk, the more he'll want to!
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 3:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No you do not need to be concerned.

Every child is different. Some children walk at 10 months...some don't walk until they are 2....talking is no different.

I wouldn't worry. Just encourage and he will talk in his own time.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:37 PM on Sep. 30, 2009