How to clean mattress? (cat pee problems)

Yesterday I washed 4 blankets that my eldest (about 8 or 9 yrs old) cat peed on. Today, the memory foam topper is still drying outside AND 2 more blankets have been peed on! It's like every time I change the sheets, he pees on them. Then when nothing was there, HE PEED ON THE MATTRESS. 1st, how do I clean the mattress? 2nd, how do I stop him? He's fixed, he's old, litter trained, always has a clean box that's been in the same spot, etc bu he keeps going on our bed this week. (our bedroom is his room since he doesn't get along with our kittens who get the rest of the apt) I'm assuming he's doing it cause 1 kitten keeps sneaking in his room. If I keep the little one out, what else can I do to make him stop marking our bed? Is there any other reason he might be doing it?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 2:39 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pets

• I'd spray it with ODOBAN. It's what professionals use. You can get it online but it's expensive (shipping is costly). Sam's Club carries it in gallons and Walmart has it in a smaller container.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• im not sure how to stop it. try calling your local pet store like petsmart and talking to them. there is a spray i know you can get to help with this.
    as for cleaning it my kittens ahve done this B4. pee'd on my blnakets and soaked threw to my matress. but luckily we have a bissell little green shampoo machine thing. and we just took it to the top of the matress and let it air dry. worked fine. see if a freind has one or if you can barrow one if you dont have one. unless you think its worth the 90.00 to go out and buy one. it was for us since we used it to clean out rug from the dang dog that we got rid of.hope this helps.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Get Borax first, sprinkle the powder on the matress and vacum it off.
    USUALLY that is all we have had to do with our stuff.
    It helps in the wash for the blankets too.
    Its a laundry booster.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• from what i've heard, cats have a heightened sense of smell and if they can smell the area where they "marked their territory" they will continue to do so. maybe the cat is jealous of other cats in your house? or maybe even jealous of your baby? or like someone else said, he may have a UTI. i could never get my cats to stop. they became predominantly outside cats.
    chainedtofate85

Answer by chainedtofate85 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would spray with vinegar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009