I know...dumb and ridiculous question...but I am watching Maury (obviously I am bored LOL) and....

they gave a man a lie detector test. I understand how that works BUT how do they know how many people he cheated with from the results of the lie detector? I thought that it just was able to find out if you were giving truthful answers...I am confused. LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think they ask have you cheated with 1 or more, 5 or more, etc. He'll either admit or lie, either way they get an answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yep, what Anon said. They have to ask about specific numbers.
    Here, I'm thinking, "Maury, what channel??" ha ha ha, also bored.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• lol. I love Maury. I agree with PPs. Its the way they ask the questions. But, can't the detector not get the right answer by some chemical in the brain or something? For the same reason its not worth a thing in court?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Maury is the man who knows everything! lol i bet he is the one to make the men cheat by sending women after certian men and deceving them and making them commit adultry and then bringing them on to the show.

Personally, i like the ones where the women comes in like 14 times for a paternity test and they say "I know 110% that you are the father!" lol like hellooo.. theres only 100 in a percent no wonder you dont know who the father is! lmao

when the results come back "YOURE NOT THE FATHER!" they run off crying and screaming. lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You're right. I'm surprised it's not a "who's my baby-daddy for the 9th time" show... LOL!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Lie detectors only work with yes/no questions and then record the body's responses to the stress caused by the answer - the idea being that a lie, even if not obviously verbally will generate stress that can be measured.

So once they notice a variation (a lie) a skilled questioner then adds questions to the test to determine and clarify responses.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think the script writers were not thinking as carefully as you are.

Inveterate liars are never caught by lie detectors, because lies (or the possibility of getting caught in lies) don't stress them out... and all lie detectors pick up is physical symptoms of stress.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009