Questions about cloth diapers please help me and hubby decide.

My hubby and i are so undecided. He is from another country so growing up he and his family had to use them. I have never even seen one. He wants to use them so I said we can try. However i know nothing about them please help.
1) do you have to make them.
2)can you buy them if so where?
3)are they better to use?
4)are there particular kinds/fabrics that are more comfortable?
5) do you have to change baby everytime they pee cuz if you dont it will leak through.
6) do they often soak through
7) how often do you have to change say a one year old.

Please feel free to add any additional of helpful information. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Join this group these mamas will answer all your question and they are really nice

cuities with cloth booties

http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh, I love our cloth diapers! I did a post in my blog all about them. See

http://www.findsforfamilies.com/2009/08/cloth-diaper-questions.html

As to your questions:

1. Nope
    2. Yep, try www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com
    3. I find they leak less than disposables and they're definitely cheaper
    4. My son gets less diaper rash in Bum Genius 3.0 than he did in disposables
    5. I change him just when I nurse him (4 x a day now) or when he poops
    6. We've had maybe 3 leaks in 7 months
    7. A 1 year old you probably change about like my son, 4 or 5 x a day.

My advice is go for it! You'll be glad you did!
    mel011683

Answer by mel011683 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 1) do you have to make them. No, but it's cheaper and not hard to if you sew. We made the prefolds (the diapers themselves) and bought the covers.
    2)can you buy them if so where? The internet. Google "cloth diapers" in shopping and you will get hundreds of sites selling them.
    3)are they better to use? I think so. They are certainly cheaper, and they aren't full of whatever weird chemicals they use to make the pee gel up. It does make extra laundry, we averaged a load of diapers every other day in the beginning and more like every third day later on.
    4)are there particular kinds/fabrics that are more comfortable? The diaper part is usually made of a cotton fabric, either diaper twill or diaper flannel. You can also buy or make fleece inserts that stay soft and dry against baby's skin while allowing moisture to pass through to the absorbant cotton layer.
    (cont'd)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 5) do you have to change baby everytime they pee cuz if you dont it will leak through. I have found you do need to stay right on top of wet diapers, not because they leak but because it will cause diaper rash. With the fleece liners, it buys you a little time. You use a cover with the cloth diaper to prevent leaks, either as a seperate item or you can buy all-in-ones that are the waterproof cover with absorbent liner in one piece. Those are much pricier. If you stay on top of the wet diapies with the separate diapers and covers, you usually use the cover over again several times before washing it as long as you don't let them get really soaked. We tend to be able to use the same cover for 5-6 changes.
    6) do they often soak through Not if you use a cover and change often. About the same as disposables.
    7) how often do you have to change say a one year old. As often as you would with disposables, every couple hours on average
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Holwy cow honey!!!!! It's 2009 Buy the poor kid so Huggies and don't make more work for your selk...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yeah...Huggies a full of chemicals look it up cloth dipes are not much more work and they are much cuter than Huggies and less toxic
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 1) do you have to make them. No
    2)can you buy them if so where? We were given some used ones from friends; you can buy them on Craigslist, eBay, in second hand shops and at garages sales; I see them in my freecycle group at least once a week
    3)are they better to use? Yes!! My daughter never had a diaper rash; a toddler was never burned by the insides of a cloth diaper (yes, this has happened with Pampers)
    4)are there particular kinds/fabrics that are more comfortable? Ours were cotton
    5) do you have to change baby everytime they pee cuz if you dont it will leak through. The covers are waterproof; they are very absorbent.
    6) do they often soak through Not very often
    7) how often do you have to change say a one year old. It varies

Answer by rkoloms at 3:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm trying to find a picture to post on here... These are not your grandmother's cloth diapers that are available today. Yes it is 2009. And because of that, cloth diapers come in amazing styles and that are often just as easy to change as disposables. I didn't buy my first cloth diaper until my first son was a year old. I have three under three now and can barely keep up with the laundry as is these days :) But I will tell you that when I only had one child- cloth diapering was EASY! It was better for my child and the environment and WAY WAY better on my wallet.

http://www.cutecaboose.com/gen-images/cc-cloth-diaper-trial.jpg

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 5:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• The good thing about cloth diapers is you can't run out in the middle of the night --there's some here, even if they're all in the dryer. Also, you'll have al lthe equipment/stuff you need in case you run out and need to use a towel or a t-shirt or a rag.

Plus, after you're done, if they're in good shape there is a healthy 2nd hand market to re-sell prefolds --because they are so expensive. If you choose flat diapes (I did, had 8 dozen) you can have more and then have the best rags.

When I costed it (I hear it's similiar today), it was the same price for the duration for prefolds, quality paper diapers or a diaper service -if I'd had the cash, I'd have gone diaper service the whole way --no laundry, no garbage, nothing to buy, yay! It is dramatically cheaper to use flat diapers because they're cheaper to start with and and take less time to dry.

Diapers were ONE extra load of laundry a week. Yikes, what hardship
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 1) do you have to make them.

No you do not have to make them!

2)can you buy them if so where?

You can buy them from me! I make them. Very cute ones at that, or from other people you can buy wahm ones (work at home mom) or corp. ones like bum genius

3)are they better to use?

Yes! better for the environment, saves you money, and reduces rash for baby. my baby is 6 mo old and never had a diaper rash!

There are a lot of fabrics to choose from:

cotton, fleece, bamboo, flannel, velour, minky

It would be best to change baby after they pee for any kind of diapering method, however, you can go 2-3 hrs between diaper changing.

MrsHazelwood

Answer by MrsHazelwood at 8:50 AM on Oct. 14, 2009