HOW LATE IS TOO LATE FOR A 3 YR OLD TO GO TO BED?

My 3 yr old son fights me every night for a good hour or longer. My plan is to get him asleep by 8pm but it is turning into 10-11pm way to late in my opinion. He wakes up @ 8:30 in the morning and starts his day, i try to lay him down by 1:30-2:00pm for a nap but once again he fights me, so he usually gets away with not takeing one. and then he will stay up untill 10-11 if i let him.

ONEHIPMAMMA

Asked by ONEHIPMAMMA at 2:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our house runs on 8 pm bed time *though they play until about 9*, Up at 7 or 8, down for nap by 12, 12:30
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My girls go to bed at 8 pm. I have a 3 year old and an almost 19 month old. My little one falls asleep almost immediately but it's a challenge with my 3 yr old. She will lay down and then get back up and ask me random questions just so she can have an excuse to get up and come out to the living room, etc. Sometimes, if I get her excited about the following day it will motivate her to go to sleep sooner. Like for example I will offer to take her to her favorite playground, or i'll let her watch her favorite movie, things like that out of the usual schedule. Not sure if it will work for you but I hope it helps!

maliya0608

Answer by maliya0608 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Why fight? Just let him go to sleep when he is ready.

My son went through a phase of 9/10 not that long ago...and now he is back to 8 but he tells me when he is ready.

If he doesnt want a nap why try to force it?

If you want to try and change his sleeping pattern so you get more of an evening..I would try to get him up earlier...

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• let the nap go... my son turned 4 this month, he gets up at 9-10 am (dh works second shift and is so thankful he sleeps that late) no nap .... and has to be alseep by 10 at night, being that my son goes to afternoon preschool and has 2 yrs in our district in ohio until he can go to K ... i see no problem with it...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Most days my 3 yr old goes to bed around 9-10pm and she has to get up at 7-7:30 for school but I also still try to have her take an afternoon nap. On weekends my husband has let her stay up until 1-2am before hoping she would sleep in (yeah right). I would try not pushing a nap but that he has to play quietly or lay in his bed for an hour or so of an afternoon and then have him do something physical of a late afternoon evening like playing outside so that he wears himself out a little more for the evening and then make sure you have a good bedtime schedual that is relaxing.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 3:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My 3 year old goes in at 7:00 and he's usually asleep by 8:00. He knows I don't care if he plays in his bed or 'reads' a book but he has to stay in bed. He's up by 6:30am so I can take him to the sitter and get to work on time. He goes down for a nap right after lunch (down between 12 and 12:30) and I don't let him sleep (and neither does the sitter!) after 3:00pm. this was the same schedule my older son was on when he was 3. it worked for me. Now on the weekends if my 3 year old doesn't want to take a nap, that's fine but he has to stay in his room quietly, he needs the time to rest and relax and he usually ends up falling asleep.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My dd goes to bed when really whenever she gets sleepy..ha! It could vary from 9-11! But She will let me know and she goes to sleep wakes up about 8-8:30am...Its whatever to me, but when she starts to go to school next year she will go to bed a 8!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 6:43 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I try to skip naps in my house unless my kids are really cranky during the day...and i also try to run their energy down...take them to the park and ride bikes and stuff...then i just made it a every night things ...we eat take a bath brush teeth and then they can watch tv for 30 minutes then its bed time...sometimes they like to have a book read to them. I let them pick out a night light for their room and they have those glow in the dark stars all over their room...they use to wake up at 8am then not go to bed until 12-1am which was insane...but in the last two months i have made it where they are in bed every night at 8:30-9.....they dont fight it like they use to...they like to lay in their beds and sleep like big kids... Just try to stick with a routine..you might have to switch things a little until you figure out something that works for you... GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2009