how bad is your recovery from a c-section? how many c-section can you have?

babygoins09

Asked by babygoins09 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Recovery depends on the person and circumstances. I had a scheduled C/s, and I didn't need the pain meds at home after the first couple of nights, and I was out and about (carefully) in less than a week. It still hurt to stand and sit and cough and laugh and anything that uses ab muscles for about another week after that, but overall, it wasn't bad. Though some women, especially with emergency C/s after hours or days of labor to recover from as well, have a much worse time of it; and it's possible to get infections or for the incision to re-open, and that can make recovery last a lot longer. You can have as many as you want until your body physically can't handle any more. Some doctors don't like to do more than 3 or 4 because of the increased risk with each surgery, but they can't tell you not to have more kids because they don't want to cut you open again. But it is riskier the more you have, even with the first one.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• personally i never had one. but my friend has and she said it hurt like hell. then someone once told me that once you have a c-section you wont be able to have a noramal birth. so i am not sure.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Some women recover from sections with flying colors. I never had a C-section, but I did have laproscopic surgury in June, and I just say, recovery was MISERABLE. I can only imagine having a large insicion and a newborn to care for would be a million times worse.

If you're having a section you're going to want to enlist some help for at least the first two weeks to give yourself time to start healing. My tiny little incisions hurt for a good three weeks before they started to scar over. I'm kind of a slow healer, though.

You can have C-sections until you bleed out from them, I suppose. The fewer the better, though. The more you have the more likely it is that you'll have complications during the next pregnancy or the next surgury. Two is relatively safe, but blood loss increases significantly with the third. So you see, it's best to avoid them whenever possible.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• ive had 1 and recovery wasn't too bad, it was a task to pick up my baby and carry her since she was 10 lbs so my incision would burn when id do that plus getting in and out of bed or a car hurt like hell for about a week. id say in about 2 weeks i was back to my normal self with just random pains here and there. ill be having my 2nd c-section in january, although with the proper amount of time between pregnancies and the right doctor a vbac is possible, just not for me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If you have one c-section depends on circumstances as to wether or not and your dr on having a vbac. I didn't think it was so horrible until I had my tubes tied in the same breathe. I was ready to get up and get moving by the next morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Navajomom, that's untrue. You can have a vaginal birth after C-section. Many hospitals don't allow it, but it's safer than a repeat C-section. It's legal to have a HBAC (homebirth after c-section) in some states. Check your legislation.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I had a C-Section, took about 2 weeks to be fully mobile again, and even then my scar was still sensitive at times, but nothing that i couldnt cope with. I am expecting again, and iwas given the option to have a vaginal birth and said NOPE!, I will be delivering my baby on a scheduled date by c section again! My aunt had 3 altogether, im not sure the limit, but it is hard on the body, sooo....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have had 2 c-sections, and am going to have #3 in about 6 weeks. They hurt, and you can lose feeling in your lower tummy. You can give birth after having one, but try and wait at least 3-5 years in between children. The recovery can vary with different women and surgeries. My first was pretty easy, but my 2nd one was horrible. The less you have the better, there are alot of risks with c-sections. Do the research yourself, and talk to your doctor. And please, please, PLEASE dont get one unless you absolutley have to.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Generally, it's a lot harder to recover from a cesarean. "Bad" varies...

There are some doctors who might limit the number of surgical births, others might not.

Most importantly, is safety. IF vaginal delivery is an option, then it's safer to go that route so moms won't have this issue: How many more babies am I "allowed" to have?

VBACs are usually safer than repeat cesareans, but it can be tricky to find an attendant.
    You might find that a surgeon (OB) is more likely to suggest/insist on cesareans while a normal birth specialist (midwife) more likely to encourage vaginal birth after cesarean(s).

If you would like more info/links/articles about cesareans let me know. There are cesarean awareness & VBAC cafemom groups to help, books, classes, in-person support groups.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have had 4, and have been approved for a 5th since #4 was stillborn. The number depends on what your uterus can take. I know of women who have had 6 sections. Recovery sucks though. Also you have all the risks of surery such as hemmorage, blood clots, ect.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009