should i take my ds to dr?

My son has a cold i think, runny nose and a little cough, but no fever. My DH thinks i should take him to the dr but i think as long as he doesn't have a fever and isn't cranky he's ok. Yesterday i gave him some tylenol cause he was a little cranky but he's been fine except the runny nose. Which i heard could be teeth too. My son is 9 months old with no teeth. I don't wanna bother my doctor if its a normal cold. Am i right to not wanna run him to the dr?

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't do it unless he spikes a fever and/or gets lethargic. Also, DON'T give him tylenol just because he's a little bit cranky, just let it ride. Give him a little extra water or watered down juice to drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If he doesn't have a fever and is eating and giong to the bathroom like normal than there is nothing that a doctor will or can do for him. If you think its teething than try teething tablets (calming herbs), cold/frozen wash clothes, and teething toys. Along with Tylonel and IB profine if he seems like he's really hurting. I hope that helps. :) Good Luck!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 3:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• If you child has a cold, then his immune system is probably suppressed. This is exactly the wrong time to expose a child to all of the germs in a doctor’s office.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• thank you rkoloms!!!
    was going to say the same exact thing.

now would be the WORST time to expose your sweet, drooling, slightly snot dripping baby to the big bad world of viruses that the dr's office has to offer.

its a cold, they all get colds- they get over them. Dr has no magic wand that will make it end quicker, nothing they can do. just let it ride out.

if he develops a fever, vomiting, diarrhea, is listless, loses his appetite, or has thick green/yellow mucous, THEN there are things that can be done to help treat him. and about 3/4 of those things do not require the dr's office! ever.

good luck, you'll probably take him anyway- i know, because thats what most do with their first. :) hope he feels better, and so do you. stop worrying so much!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009