Does the U.S. consume too much?

Look around in your household...Do you have far more clothes than you need? In your kitchen, do you have tons of small appliances that are never used? Do you use lots of personal care products that are really unnecessary, not to mention unhealthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is part of the problem. The desire for cheap goods and lots of them has helped drive the jobs out of the country. Americans cannot manufacture items as cheaply as the Chinese can. When you shop, do you look for the Made in the USA label and buy it even if it is most expensive? Probably not.

I like to think of this as "Walmart economics."

Yes, I do have too much stuff! Of course, the fact that I rarely throw anything out contributes to the amount I have.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes, America does overindulge in alot of things.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 3:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Are you yourself a minimalist or are you on a hypocritical high horse?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Who? If refering to me, no, I have desire to bless others with what I have, and don't use. As long as it is good condition to pass to others. Would like to give alot more to other people as I am able to afford as well.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 3:57 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• eye rollingANON :54 - I was asking a question - so how about you get off of yours?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Thats what we are, a nation of consumers. We need to be a nation of producers. That is our downfall.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes, I think we consume far too much...everything is treated as "throw away" instead of mend, fix or repair it...
    I probably have more than enough clothes...but at the same time my body changes sizes with pregnancy and post preg....so what do you do...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 4:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I agree Carpy...we need to become more self reliant...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 4:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yes, I think we consume too much. Idle time and minds. We used to be a very productive nation. Unions, taxes, tariffs and government regulation and punitive regulators, have all contributed to the exodus of industry in this country.
    360

Answer by 360 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Shut up global warming my aXX! It has been the coldest summer in years!(New York, Massachusetts, Chicago, etc. etc.)

So, I will gladly continue to use disposable pull ups, wipe my counters with disposable bleach wipes, and use paper plates on the weekend cause I don't feel like putting dishes in the dishwasher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009