Is 100.0 considered a fever in a 4 month old?

Just wondering if she needs tylenol or not.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A rectal temp of 100 isn't a fever and I wouldn't give Tylenol . You don't want to mask it and cover up a potential problem.
    And these ladies are crazy... there is no danger of taking your childs temp rectally. If the thermometer slides in easily and you don't use any force you won't cause any damage. Rectal temps are the BEST most accurate temps to take.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I would give tylonel. :)
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 3:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i tkae it was taken rectally right, give tylenol anyways but no its not considered a fever.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 3:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Rectally, it is not a fever.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yeah, I took her temp rectally...she was running a fever of 102 yesterday and she got her shots the day before so I've been taking it every few hours...I guess I'll give her tylenol just to be safe. Thanks!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There is NO need to take a baby temp rectally plus you could hurt them. Have you noticed Dr/hospitals don't even do it that way anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• NO TYLENOL!!!!!!!!! Call your doctor if you don't know, but do NOT give a baby that young tylenol without a dr's consent & instruction first!
    Anonymous

• was it rectal or not? AS FOR ANON 4:03 MY KIDS PEDIATRAICINA NA D THE HOSPITAL HERE STILL TAKE RECTAL TEMP. OP IF IT WAS RECTAL 100.0 IS NOT A FEVER NOW 101 IS. 100.0 IS NORMLA RECTAL TEMP SHE HAS NO FEVER AND THERE IS NO NEED FOR TYLENOL
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• sometimes when you give shots they get a fever b/c the body is fighting the toxins in the body-the ingredients are NOT suppossed to be there so the body fights it-hence fever.

Call your Dr and report it to Vaers.

Let the fever run its course, do not dress baby heavily, do not give tylenol, and make sure the baby is hydrated.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• so I am rereading my respomse and why are you taking the baby's temp rectally? They have so many other safer ways-you could really hurt the baby's rectum that way.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009