Secret Life of the American Teenager

Have any of you seen this show? If so, would you let your kids watch it? I don't have older kids but I was just wondering, because it seems like every little story line is about sex! I think that's kindof weird since its on ABC Family channel.

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 3:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Entertainment

• i love the show personal and yea i would let my child watch it. face it today it seems like everything is about sex. All we can do is talk to our kids
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 4:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I thought that too when i was watching it. The entire show is about sex.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 5:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I Love The Show. And I Think It Portrays Most Teenage Lifestyles Right Now. I Would Let My Kids Watch It. Maybe It Would Teach Them To Wait To Have Sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• My 17yo son is hooked on it (his ex-gf got him hooked). I watched it a few times and said that I didn't like how it was all about sex and I was informed that that really is the main focus of most teens. The show isn't far off and seems to deal with real issues. I do wish that the girl would have placed her baby for adoption though. THAT would have showed that sometimes we have to make tough decisions when we make adult choices too young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I like it. I think it is informative, and maybe answers some questions kids might not feel comfortable asking parents.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 9:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I watched it with my dd. But then again, she's a teen. I thought it was a little heavy handed / dramatic at times, but overall I thought it was a good show. Yes, it's got a lot of sex stuff in it. It's also got other things in it, too - families coping with divorce, cliques at school, etc.

All of these are issues that teens face - and families with teens are still families, too, so I can see why it's on ABC family channel ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Oh, I should add, my ds watched it a few times, too, but he didn't really get into it, because usually when it was on he was at Scouts.

We just made a major move though, so they haven't watched it lately.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• OP here: yeah, I can see maybe watching it with my teenagers so that you could talk about the issues in the episode. things might have changed in the last few years but i don't remember sex being THAT big an issue when i was in highschool (im 21 now). I just wouldn't want my kids to think that EVERY one in highschool is having sex, so it must be the normal thing to do. i guess i'm just protective now that i'm a new mom and don't want my daughter to get hurt by a guy who doesn't care about her!
    MollieDoll

Answer by MollieDoll at 2:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I agree MollieDoll. It didn't seem like that in high school. this show goes a little over board on the subject. but if this is how you need to discuss sex with you child then its a good way to start. don't know if I would let my daughters watch it or not.
    Shortmommy

Answer by Shortmommy at 10:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I watch it, but I don't let my 9 year old watch it. My 4 year old wouldn't understand it. Every show is about sex and they say SEX like a million times each show.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2009