• In the Spotlight:

How do you get an 11 month old to let me brush her teeth?

My daughter just won't let me brush her teeth.. (she has 6) I'm literly holding her down trying to get her mouth open. I've tried to gently do it at bathtime, i've given her another toothbrush to play with..
She used to loveee me brushing her teeth, but the last two month's have been rough, all of a sudden she hates it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Bubble gum flavor will do it! Let her brush in the tub....multitasking. Sing a song with her to let her know exactly how long she needs to brush on that side. Put her in front of the mirror to let her see herself.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I get my 2 year old in the bathroom and hold her arms down and hold her head down while I brush, then I let her do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Same here, I just do exactly what you are doing, I hold him down and brush his teeth. Sometimes he will hold the brush and I "let" him do it and that works a little better but other time he is just not in the mood. I used a little silicone brush from the time he was 3 months and he used to love it......then he got teeth and hates it. Go figure. Oh, switching to a toddler toothbrush did seem to help a degree.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When you give her a toothbrush does she chew on it? or just toss it aside?

have you tried letting her watch you brush your teeth?

When my oldest was a tot he started to give me problems so I would brush my teeth with him watching, he would have his tooth brush in hand and normally would start brushing his teeth. Once I finished I would show him my teeth and say look so pretty, then I would ask to see his teeth and say Oh so pretty. It seem to encourage him every few days I would say oh, let mommy try too. Her teeth is not going to rot out at that age with less brushing.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 4:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Give her a stuffed animal and a toothbrush; you can brush your babies' teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I had a hard time with my son, so I bought him an electric toothbrush when he was about 4 or 5. He loved it. And now he is all grown up and is crazy about brushing his teeth twice a day. I did what someone else mentioned and bought him bubblegum flavored toothpaste too. Thankfully he has outgrown this, lol. Hope this helps.
    Terri
    Kidnurse1963

Answer by Kidnurse1963 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• With my older boys who hated to brush I would make a game of it. I would let them 'brush' my teeth and I would brush theirs. My 3rd loves brushing his teeth, he goes in with big brother and they make a game of it- to see who can get their teeth the cleanest first. Of course the little one always wins...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• i don't understand, she's 11 mos old. how big of a fight could that be? open that mouth and brush her teeth, it'll take like one whole minute.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• Don't force it. You don't want her to hate it forever! At this age, it's helpful but not necessary. As the teeth grow in, they are moving down along with all the plaque that sits at the gum line when teeth are permanent. Try to make a game out of it, or get a toothbrush with a cute picutre on it and just let her chew. Also, have her brush her toys teeth. Get a teddy bear and a cheap brush and have her brush it's teeth. Also, brush your teeth at the same time so she can watch. And if that doesnt' work, just get a wash cloth and wip down the gums. It's not too big a deal just yet. She could have more teeth coming in and it might hurt her gums to brush right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• -Don't make it a struggle. She will just struggle back.
    -Let her be independent and hold her own toothbrush, even if she "brushes" right or not. It's a start.
    -Make it a fun and loving experience in order to get a fun and loving reaction from her.

Hope that helps.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 9:32 AM on Oct. 1, 2009