Have you ever heard of a Luteal Phase Defect?

A luteal phase is the time in a woman’s cycle between ovulation and menstruation. In a pregnant woman, during the luteal phase the fertilized egg will travel from the fallopian tube and into the uterus for implantation. The luteal phase is normally 14 days long and on an average it can be anywhere from 10 to 17 days long. If your luteal phase lasts anything under 10 days it is considered a luteal phase defect. But some doctors believe that if the luteal phase falls under 12 days, then it is a problem. If you conceive and you have a luteal phase defect, you will have an early miscarriage.

I just wondered if anybody has heard of it, I didn't know what it was until I had 3 miscarriages and they found that to be the reason behind them all. I ovulate on day 19 of a 28 day cycle, which is what the problem was!

bethany_smith

Asked by bethany_smith at 4:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have a luteal phase defect. I diagnosed it myself because I chart. I never had it before, but I had an ectopic pregnancy in June (we weren't being careful!) and now my LP is 9 days long. I figure it's the gods telling me we need to wait to have another child.

Most women don't know about LP defects because they don't chart and they don't know a whole lot about their own cycles. I recommend that EVERY woman read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It's SOOOO informative! It's stuff every woman should know.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'd heard of it because of the book the PP suggested, Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I read it when my husband and I first started talking about maybe trying to conceive at some point possibly in the near future (lol). It was very informative, and I learned a lot that I otherwise would never have known. Charting as explained in that book is how I know to expect my periods (I have very irregular cycles), when I ovulate, how long my luteal phase is, and how I knew I was pregnant with my first. It's a great book. :)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• After losing two babies, I forced myself to the doctor at five weeks (they try to avoid seeing anyone until 8-12 weeks, thus basically killing my babies) pregnant and was diagnosed with luteal phase defect. It is explained to me that my body does not make enough progesterone to keep me pregnant, resulting in miscarriages. This is my form of LPD. I got a weekly injection of progesterone until I was 13 weeks and now I am 7 months pregnant with my healthy baby girl.
    swankyjen

Answer by swankyjen at 5:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• i'm sorry for your losses. i had never heard that. my luteal phase is long at about 16-17 days. i hope that this info can help you out. best wishes! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• yes, it can be corrected with VIt B suppliments and / or Dong Quai herbal tonic (which I prefer as a Tea)
    You might notice your LP shorter during the winter months when we have less light. It effects quite a few Alaskan women.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2009