Mormon Baptism of Jewish Dead?

What is your opinion of the Mormon church baptizing deceased Jews, especially holocaust victims? The Mormon Church has also baptized Hitler, and recently even President Obama's mother. I think that despite the good intentions I'm sure some have when baptizing the dead, that it is disrespectful, especially when the deceased they are baptizing were devout to their own religions in life.

http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/ldsagree.html

Mortiferouslatt

Asked by Mortiferouslatt at 4:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is disrespectful and pointless

I used to be Mormon
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:05 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When I was doing baptisms for the dead I felt I was doing a good thing. You wont find anyone in the church who finds it horrible,etc.

Now that Ive stepped away from the church I can see why people wouldnt understand it or find it good.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I really have a problem with it. I grew up and a mostly mormon communtiy. There was a family that their Grandfather wasn't Mormon and didn't want to convert even though his family wanted him too. Everyone knew his views on it. Then after he died they did the baptism of the dead thing for him. I thought it was very wrong and disrespectful. Everyone had that choice when they were alive. However I don't think it actually baptises them.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 4:11 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm with everyone else. I left the church because of that and because they were telling me (I was in young women's) that I needed to learn a skill to please my future husband. I knew it wasn't for me when I thought "What does HE have to do to please ME?!" lol.

Anyway, I think it's awful and I think it's blasphemous.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm a member of the LDS church and I've never heard anything about Hitler being baptized for the dead...but I can say that it doesn't matter who is baptized for the dead...they still have to accept it in Heaven and someone like Hitler probably wouldn't accept it in death so I wouldn't put too much into this. I looked at the article you have linked..and it may be true..but you can't believe everything someone puts on paper. And if you want honest answers don't take them from "someone who used to be Mormon" because they are obviously going to be negative and against anything our church stands for. And who are we to say that people can't choose a different way once they are dead. All that baptizing for the dead does is give them a choice to decide what they want. It isn't forcing anything on anyone. All missionaries & genealogy do are give people choices they may not have had without them. We believe in freedom to choose.
    cissykissy

Answer by cissykissy at 4:16 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I find it horrible and disrespectful. I remember hearing about them baptizing a pope before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Please dont assume cissykissy that those of us who are no longer members are false in what we say or feel. Not all of us who are no longer mormon are "negative" and "against" anything the church stands for.

Thats a crock and I wish members would understand that.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I understand that it only gives the dead "a chance to accept it" but also, not everyone thinks of it as a respectful practice.

if you want honest answers don't take them from "someone who used to be Mormon" because they are obviously going to be negative and against anything our church stands for.

ex-Mormons are not dishonest simply because they are no longer Mormon and they are allowed to have an opinion whether it be negative or not.

Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 4:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I'm not meaning that your feelings are false. Everyone is permitting to feel how they want to. I have siblings that don't believe in the church anymore but they also don't speak badly of it to their friends or co-workers. And don't think I'm one of those Mormons who grew up in the church her whole life and believes whatever my parents believe. I was married in the temple but got divorced 8 years later. I have been on both sides of this. I am remarried now but we did not get married in the temple and I have struggled with a lot of things with the church. But even if I left it I would never speak badly of it the way you girls are doing. I realize this life is all about the choices we make and all that baptizes for the dead does is give people another choice to make. It doesn't force anything on anyone so I don't see why you are so upset about it.
    cissykissy

Answer by cissykissy at 4:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Im feeling nitpicky today....cissykissy, personally I never said anything bad if you read my response. There was nothing bad about it whatsoever so please refrain from lumping everyone in a particular group.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009