Flu shot and swine flu shot...... should we get them or risk it?

My son is old enough(13 months) but I'm not sure if I want to get those shots for him. My fiance is definately getting them because he works with the public and I don't want him bringing anything home. I just don't know about me and the baby. Is the swine flu shot safe, or is it too new to know if it is good or not? I guess I'm just looking for some info before I decide on the shots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Personally, I just dont get them, my immune system is so terrible that I would catch it no matter what.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:09 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• No one in our household will be getting it. Dh works in a field that puts him near the possibly ill all the time. We would rather use age old prevention techniques.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I don't think it is worth the risk...the ingredients in the shots seem far more harmful than either flu...IMO...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 4:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I actually just talked to our infection specalist here at the hospital where I work and he said the regular flu shot was more dangerous than the H1N1 shot, and I trust that he has done his homework on the subject. I will be getting the shot, but not the flu mist, which contains the live virus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There is no way anyone here is getting either one. My husband is an EMT (volunteer, on call, seldom goes out) and won't get them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Neither DH or I get the flu shot. DD gets the seasonal flu shot. No one in my household will be getting the Swine Flu shot.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My kids and I got the seasonal flu shot and will probably also get the N1H1. My son goes to school and I don't want us to get sick. We did not have a bad reaction to the flu shot at all so I think it's ok.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I will get neither. From what I have heard H1N1 is dangerous and this is coming from a doctor himself who works in infectionous disease dept. He wouldnt get it for his children.
    I personally would wait a while... there will be people getting.. and see how they react to it... kinda sad but they would be the guinea pigs so to speak.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• We're not getting either. The regular flu shot is the biggest waste of time because they create the vaccine way back in the springtime before flu season even hits, so the vaccine won't even protect you from the current strain. The swine flu vaccine hasn't been tested enough and the whole swine flu thing has been blown way out of proportion.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Well I think it depends on what your willing to risk because either way you could get the N1H1. It might not even matter if you get the vaccine because the N1H1 keeps mutating so fast, that even if you get the vaccine...it might not even be for the strain of N1H1 that finally hits your state. If you get the vaccine I would get it in injection form. They do have it to where its inhaled through your nose but it could be contagious that way, say if you sneeze. N1H1 is still contagious 5days after symptoms are gone. The vaccine is not for sure....its an experiment and they are going to see which vaccine works the best...the nasal or the injection. I'm not going to get vaccine. I'd rather wait it out to see if I get N1H1 than give myself a vaccine that gives me N1H1.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009