When you see an overweight person, do you ever stop to think that they may be in the process of becoming healthier?

As in, do you look at overweight people and think "Oh, what a fat slob. They should put down the cheeseburgers and hop on a treadmill."

I'm just wondering if the majority of people think this. I'm overweight and I'm doing my damndest to start a healthier lifestyle. I walk every day and I've slashed my calorie intake in half over the course of two months. Unfortunately, people cannot see the effort I'm making, they only see how much I weigh.

So do you judge overweight people by their size, or do you realize that they may be in the middle of becoming healthier?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:19 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• To be honest, I don't think anything about "overweight" people period.  I don't wonder how many cheeseburgers they've eaten, I don't wonder whether they are trying to lose weight.  To each their own.  I'm sure anyone can look at me and find a gazillion things wrong with me so I'm not one to say what someone else should look like and/or be doing with their lives.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My husband is obese. He lost 43 lbs in the last year. If you didnt know him, you wouldnt realize it. You just see a fat guy. He's really trying to make an effort to eat healthier things but yeah, people do look at overweight/obese ppl & just make rash judgments like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wow, go him anon =) I wish I could wear a t-shirt that said "I am TRYING to lose weight here!" or something. I wish people wouldn't make such silly judgments about others, blah.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Honestly, I just feel sad and I say a little prayer for them to get healthier. I hate to see people suffering like that. I know they don't really want to be that way.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• It is just sad to know that somehow they got that way to begin with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• since im about 75 lbs overweight & working on it you would think i do. but for the most part i dont think anything but "man i hope i never get THAT fat".

what makes me the most angry is when tiny little sticks think they are healthier than me just b/c im fat. i can chase my toddler around the park, climb flights of stairs w/o being breathless, rarely get sick, & have healthy pulse & blood pressure...im just fat. i also hate that we have to be nice & tolerant to everyone...but fat ppl dont count, we can discriminate against them as much as we want.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Women really have a party of eating during their pregnancy not thinking that they are going to have a harder time taking that weight off.  Thing that gets me is that they are so young, just wait til they hit their 40's when every thing  slows down drastically. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I don't have the right to judge others, and I hope others don't judge me. I'm overweight myself, and am making the effort to live a healthier lifestyle. I don't see a reason to feel sad, some people are genetically programmed to gain more than others, or maybe they are using medications that have weight gain as a side effect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Ever been to Disney in Florida? 90% of the women pushing strollers are 100+ pounds overweight walking around in short shorts and tank tops or on the beach in string bikini's. Have the people of the world lost all shame? I know some have medical conditions that make them HUGE but the Average size of an American woman is 14-16. So Unless your 100+ pounds overweight I dont consider you fat. Not eveyone in this world has self controll.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:18 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I am on the fat side and trying to lose it. It is very hard. The trick is keeping it off once you lose it. That is harder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 30, 2009