How can you start a garden when you live in an apartment?

Okay. I live in what I call a "quadroplex", a big old house that was converted into four big apartments. We don't have a back yard for a garden, the back yard is an asphalt parking lot. I wouldn't be allowed to dig in the front yard, lease agreement and all.

I'm interested in starting a small garden next year sometime, maybe in spring. I don't know jack sheeyat about gardening though. Is there a way to plant one or two vegetables in a container instead of in the ground? Any websites or sources you could direct me to? What tools will I need to do this? I'm looking to save money and give myself, a SAHM, a hobby. Any tips will help =)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes,I forget what it is called,but you make a box and plant in it
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• try getting on of those hanging plant things (ment for tomatos but you can grow other things) or try using pots on your porch or inside near a window. go to your local nursery and ask which plants would be best for these types of conditions or whatever conditions you decide to do..or call then and ask them what would be best.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:27 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• That is how most of my plants are grown. I love my containers. You could turn ANY container into a planter, just make sure you put drainage in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I did tomatoes and herbs in pots when I lived in an apartment. Good luck!
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 4:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• DIY: Build Your Own Garden Box | DIY, garden, container garden ...

This weekend, I decided to expand my vegetable garden space by building another garden box. If you know how to operate a power drill, you can build this box ...
    www.casasugar.com/1550067 -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:31 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• How to Build a Raised Garden Box | eHow.com

How to Build a Raised Garden Box. Want to grow vegetables without much work. Raised beds are the easiest way to get a garden started as all you have to do ...
    www.ehow.com/how_2289458_build-raised-garden-box.html
    vbruno

• In some cities they have some square foot plots for rent you pay per month,
    things for in the apt.

Set up a grow light or a window box. . . Start seedlings with egg crates and soil,seeds,water. Transplant them to little plastic yogurt containers.
    Later on when taller plants branch out transplant those ..... ..... into clay pots, or a
    small greenhouse at a friends backyard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Sep. 30, 2009