What's a good guess - do you think?

We're going to be driving down from Washington to Texas; one way.
We have a Toyota and a Jimmy. The Toyota gets roughly 140 miles on a tank, and the Jimmy gets about the same to a tank as well, I'm actually not too sure!
We're planning on driving straight through and sleeping in the car as well. It'll be about 2200 miles.

We're going to try and pack a lot of foods to make along the road. Sandwich stuff and all that. And the Jimmy will be packed as full as we can, and the car will have a full trunk.
How much do you think we'll need? Just a rough estimate.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 4:44 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Travel

• how much what? gas? Money? I need more info before I dare hazzard a guess. You wont get as good gas mileage with both cars packed full as the extra weight will bring your mileage down
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:48 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• 2200 miles driving straight through will take you about 2 and 1/2 days. You wont be able to saftly drive 70 or 80 miles an hour with full cars. It changes the balance of the car.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:50 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• For everything.
    Gas. Food. Etc. Travel costs.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• You'd do well to stop and sleep at motels along the way so that you are really fresh for the driving. Some motels even include a simple breakfast.

Answer by Bmat at 4:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I looked it up in google, and it'll be 1 day a handful of hours.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• sometimes it can actually be cheaper to fly.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2009

• A day and a handful of hours? I don't think so, you need potty stops and rest periods, you can't drive 1100 miles a day. Driving at 70 mph that's 16 hours a day in the car!
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 3:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• I drove 2700 miles in 2 and half days......From Boise Idaho to Fairbanks Alaska...I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old....We made several potty trips a day...inbetween getting gas....I packed a single cooler...1 loaf of bread and PJ sandwhiches.we had lots and lots of snacks and drinks..I drove until i was tired and slept in the car with the kids....I did cheat and get breakfasts in the morning...but lunch and dinner was sandwhiches....If you have older kids...do not I repeat do not pack snacks with lots of sugar...arrrrgggg that was a huge mistake....and make sure you pack your patience with you...lol....cause your gonna need it...ohh also i did use those five hour power drinks...those helped tremendously with those moments of long blinking....GOOD LUCK...drive safe...watch out for the idoits....and don't mind my bad spelling....lol
    hollymmm

Answer by hollymmm at 5:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• From Washington State? What part? We are in Tacoma and it is 3300 miles on the shortest route for us to San Antonio, Texas. We have driven home and back twice. We drive a Rendezvous, and get 14-18 miles per gallon. We spent $400 one way on gas, when it was like $3 a gallon. Also, I highly recommend at least one night in a hotel, you can find a cheap one on priceline. Just plan your route, then plan out your stops. How many kids do you have? You are going to want to get them out of the car every 3-4 hours to prevent muscle cramps. YOu can stop at roadside rest stops and most of them have picnic areas. But you aren't always going to want to do that or be able to do that. SO you need to make sure you have at least $100 set aside for food besides what you pack. You also need to make sure you have a small emergency fund or credit card in case you have an emergency (blown tires, etc). I figure you hould have around $1000 on hand.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• yikes
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009