Ban handguns? Supreme Court taking a new look

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090930/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_guns

The Supreme Court says it will take up a challenge to Chicago's ban on handguns, opening the way for a ruling that could set off a vigorous new campaign to roll back state and local gun controls across the nation.

Victory for gun-rights proponents in the Chicago case is considered likely, even by supporters of gun control, in the latest battle in the nation's long and often bitter dispute over the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. A ruling against the city's outright ban could lead to legal challenges to less-restrictive laws across the country that limit who can own guns, whether firearms must be registered and how they should be stored.

The case is to be argued early next year.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well lets hope it works out the same way the DC ban case did.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:06 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Chicago gun ban, huh? Brings to mind Prohibition in Chicago. Worked well, didn't it?  LOL

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• They need to re-think it. I really don't know why people think more laws against things will stop people who have no regard for the law in the first place. All banning things like hand guns does is put the law abiding citizen at a disadvantage. If someone is going to murder someone, rob someone, or join a gang, I can assure you that telling them they aren't allowed to have a gun is useless.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:23 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Yeah....well, they will just pick up boards and beat people to death then! It's a haven for violence even without guns. This is what socialism does to people........these people live in gov't housing, getting public assisstance etc....it creates a whole atmosphere of NO HOPE...so they turn to VIOLENCE. Yeah, isn't socialism WONDERFUL.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Drugs are illegal, and can be purchased easily in every city and town in the US.  Prostitution is illegal, but hookers can be easily found in every city and town in the US.  Banning really works!  LOL

Banning guns will make them more valued by criminals, increasing the amount of gun trafficking and crime.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I saw a report that said that since the gun ban the number of crimes which involved hands guns, in Chicago, has risen 300%. It isn't the gun. It is never the gun. It is the person. Criminals will use whatever is at hand. Just like the gangs fighting at the school in Chicago where that honor roll student was killed with a 4 x 4 post. He was hit in the head and killed with basically a rail road tie. Criminals will use whatever they have.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• They're not going to "ban" my guns. No way, no how. BO is so paranoid and a big pansy. He KNOWS he isn't going to be able to shove his marxist ways down the throats of the American people without HUGE opposition. He wants to disarm us so he can swoop in. Got news for him...ban or no ban, people aren't giving up their guns or their Constitutional RIGHT to own them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Get rid of the criminals and thugs, it's not the guns that are the problem.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Oh I don't know. I wouldn't blame it on the criminals who hve guns.There are some everyday citizens ,maybe living right next door to you and they have guns and maybe some day they will go postal and shoot you and half the neighborhood. BECAUSE anyone can get a gun and nobody has to prove they are sane enough to own the gun. It doesn't matter if guns are banned or allowed. There will still be nuts out there with their guns that they feel they are entitled to carry. Grrrrrrreat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I don't think we should ban guns, I think we should have harsher punishments for unlawful use of them. I think possessing a gun not legally registered to you should be a felony, not a misdemeanor. Armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon, are felonies, but you should get 15-life not 3-10 like most. Filed off serial numbers should be felonies as well. I think handgun bullets, not shotgun or hunting bullets, should be taxed heavily. I think HIGH CAPACITY CLIPS AND FULL AUTOMATIC SHOULD BE BANNED and for handgun modifications should be illegal as well, i.e. silencers, barrel groove removers making it difficult for forensics, etc. I'm against the right to conceal on school grounds, government buildings, airports, amusement parks, etc.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 11:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2009