Are you raising a feminist?

Are you raising a feminist? Just curious... Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• No but I'm raising my son to be chivalrous...opening doors, paying for dates--that sort of thing

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I hope not....good Lord....I hope not!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• What's wrong with being a feminist?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• OP here- I think it gives young women a false set of expectations. While all women feel maternal in different ways, some don't even know what is coming when they become parents. Some feel torn between careers and families. And Ita with the first anon- my boys will be chivalrous if I have anything to do with it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I have a son. And he's being raised to believe girls are just as good and capable of boys and that they have every right to try whatever they want to try.

Interestingly, the little girl that interests him the most isn't "girly" at all. They had a play date the other day and she ran down the stairs carrying the BIGGEST Nerf gun I've ever seen! "No girl toys here," her folks told me.

OP, I don't understand what you mean about a false set of expectations? There's absolutely NO need to feel torn between career and family. None. That's a simple one...the family ALWAYS comes first and career second, no matter what. I've left jobs and turned down jobs that were not to my family's advantage. No questions there.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• "as" boys...not "of" boys!

• I guess it depends on what you think a "feminist" is. Am I raising a daughter to believe she can achieve her goals with hard work? Yes. To believe she can pursue any career she chooses? Yes. That it is possible to have a successful career and be a good parent? Yes. If you think that makes my child a feminist, there's not much I can do to change your mind, and I don't really care to anyway. A working mom is not a feminist.

I'm hoping my daughter's expectations will be her own standards, and not someone else's. If I succeed in doing that, it won't matter if she doesn't do what other women or other moms expect her to do.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• A working mom is not a feminist.

WRONG. I know many working moms who are feminists

and yes, I'm raising my sons to be be feminists.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:38 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• WRONG. I know many working moms who are feminists.

As do I. As a working mom, I also know just as many who aren't. I apologize that tone gets lost in electronic communications. Try these out:

A working mom is not necessarily a feminist. Not all working moms are feminists. A working mom is not, by definition, a feminist. The combination of working and being a mother does not mark the feminist. The fact that I'm a working mom doesn't make me a feminist.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2009