Any other grandma's helping to raise their grandchildren ???

I'm 44, my son ( 27 ) is a single dad with full custody of his 2 son's 5yr. & 3 yr. I'm currently living with him during my hubby's deployment to Iraq. I'm interested in meeting and chatting with other grandma's that are also helping to raise their grand's. How much should we help, give our advice ?? Also how to deal with moving out when my hubby returns from deployment, any single parents advice is helpful, thanks to all.

2006m_wife

Asked by 2006m_wife at 5:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2009 in About CafeMom

• You should check out my group it is called... Grandparents raising Grandchildren.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/7497

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:08 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• My mother is a God sent! My 2 daughters and I lived with her and my step dad for the last year so i could work and go to school. If not for thier help i wouldnt have over 50 credit hours and all A's. We just moved out on our own but my mom takes my girls 2-3 nights a week so i can go to class and i know my step dad is missing his grandbabies not being there all the time.

My mom let me be the parent when i was home and i know she really tried not to get involved cuz she wanted to be the Grandparent and not the parent. we had our differences but inthe end i was mom and she only gave her advice/opinion.

GOOD LUCK and thank you for being a mom that cares!!!!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• When he does something with his kids dont question it. my parents try that and i hate it. im a single mom of 2. They are always trying to tell me how to raise them. DONT DO THAT. thats a big no no. Also they get mad when i tell them no. Again thats also a no no. When he makes rules for his kids stick to them. I told my parents no letting the kids sleep in their bed and they do it. My kids take naps by theirself and my parents go against me and let them take naps with them!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think it's great you are living with your son and grandkids. I've lived with my son, DIL, and grandson and they wanted me to keep living with them. The DIL is too difficult to live with. I am now living nearby. She works and my son takes care of my grandson. He spends several afternoons a week with me. Who knows, I may move back in with them at some time in the future.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:58 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• YES! and grandfathers too. I am 23 and I have a little 1 yr old and another on the way. We are currently staying with them while my husband is away at work. I help my parents with their health and keeping up the household. My parents are very happy and love being around their grandchildren (7 of them). Grandpa is retired and grandma refuses to quit her job as a teacher. I'd say if you love it, then keep doing it. If it feels like work work and more work... its best to let it be otherwise you will get frustrated and start to resent your kids/grandkids.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 30, 2009